Recording Questions/Advice on Tascam us122 USB device

j7b

Howdy,

I am a branSpankinNewbie to both recording, and this forum.

I'm intersted in, and have been reading a lot about home recording to a PC. What I'm looking for is to record acoustic guitar (thru a mic) and vocals. My budget is $500 or less.

I'd like to be able to mess around with eq, effects and what not in "real time" (meaning, if I strum my guitar I'll be able to hear it thru my head phones (for example) exactly as it will be recorded... I'm sure there's a better word for what I"m describing). Which from what I understand, I need a sound card that supports ASIO.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

-2 Marshall 603s's (or something similar) for mic's

-A Tascam us122 USB deivice. http://www.tascam.com/products/computer_recording/us122/index.php

-Some kind of mixing/editing software like Guitar Tracks, Cool Edit, Cake Walk, etc...

My thinking was that the Tascam will act as a mic pre-amp and ASIO sound card, and I can then use the software to adjust the eq and add effects while recording.

What I don't understand is how I can monitor the sound of the recording in real time. It seems I'd have to plug headphones or speakers into the PC since that's where the mixing/effects take place. But I see the Tascam has a headphone out jack. Would the software be sending the mixed signal back out to the USB device perhaps?

Please excuse my newbieness. Am I on the right tracker here?

TIA

There are speaker (line outs?) and headphone outputs on the soundcard. To hear anything you will need to use these.

:D

The soundcard plays back the tracks being recorded before they hit the computer--at the same time as it plays back pre-recorded tracks from the computer.

Because of latency issues you probably won't be able to use plug-ins on the tracks you are recording while you are recording.

(unless you have direct monitoring engaged in the software/ which is a completely separate issue that you do not need to confuse yourself with yet.)

-Jtt

Back