Recording Quality????

Sirflex10

Due to my financial situation I have only had teh oppurtinity to record using cakewalk with a cheao radio shack microphone..would there be a huge difference in the quality of my sound if I had a real hardware recorder? For example: the vst effects that I use on vocals (reverb , chorus) sound a bit robotic..I am a newbie is it me or my software?

even with your computer's stock sound card, you can get very good results. you need a large-diaphragm condenser microphone (a good entry-level one is Studio Projects B-1) if you're doing things like acoustic guitar or vocals, and a preamp (check out the Audio Buddy). run the mic into the preamp and the preamp into the line-in of your soundcard.

justin

Mile Ender is right... I spent almost a year recording with a crappy dynamic mic into the sound card of my laptop. Using Cakewalk SONAR 2.0XL I pretty much taught myself everything, and learned how to make things sound good (better)...

Now I have a 24-bit recorder, excellent condenser mic, all amazing gear (Christmas was very good to me :P)... if I had had it all from the beginning I wouldn't know as much as I do now...

My advice: learn EQing, learn compression, learn levels, learn preamps, learn everything you can before you buy anything... yes, it's still not gonna be amazing, but that's not the point... you'll learn everything you need to know so that when you get good gear, you'll be in good shape.

Good luck with everything! :-)

i agree - use what you have a gain experience with your gear and learn how to use it to get "that sound"

i have cakewalk and right now i don't see why i would need any thing else - becuase it does everything that i want it to do

have fun learning!

steve

Some excellent advice up there.

I suggest reading everything you can, asking every question you can't answer yourself, trying all the tips you get here and elsewhere, and experimenting with the equipment you have until you are sure of what it can do, what it can't, and have some idea why.

I also agree that the audio buddy (preamp) and a decent, but inexpensive, mic (shure sm57 or Studio Projects mic, for example) will go a LONG way towards getting that learning process off to a really good start.

Its a fun ride you are hopping on here. And each step of the way is *really* enjoyable. :)

Take care,
Chris

Back