Recording Project.

Brahmb

Next weekend, I am starting a recording project. I have all the equipment I need, but I'd like some advice on the way to mix and master. This is mostly vocals for a puppet show.

Here goes:

I will have a total of 8 tracks. 7 will be independent character voices. 1 will be a soundtrack.

Only two performers will be doing the recording.

I will need to go from part to part. Should we:

Read one part through in its entirity, then another, and another, etc. and then splice and dice?

Or, should we record and stop as we go along on one track?

In other words, what will be the easiest way to do all the editing? Punch and record, or splice and dice?

Thanks for the input.

Lynn.:D

One of the things only YOU can learn in implementing a session is how YOU are most comfortable working, and judging how the "talent" is comfortable working. Either way you propose to do this project has it's merits in any given situation. It would be impossible to give meaningful advice to this question because there is no "right way" to go about recording. I know guys that like to "comp" tracks, and others that just like to punch in. Both ways work towards the same end and can be effective.

You are just going to have to decide which way you prefer to work. You might want to ask the "talent" how they prefer to work too. Your job as an engineer is to make them comfortable and foster an environment that is creative and free of distractions from the most important thing, which is them performing well.

Sounds like you don't have a lot of experience in a tracking environment. If you stay on top of things, concentrate, and are willing to adapt to a changing working environment, you will get through this well enough. Just remember what worked and what didn't. That will serve you well down the road.

Good luck.

Ed

Thanks Ed. It's not so much that I'm looking for the right way, as I have not had any experience (you nailed that one). Fortunately, it's a friend and me doing the vocals, and I was trying to learn from other people's experience to see if one way might be easier.

Lynn.:cool:

In that case, you might want to spend the time, maybe 4 or 5 hours, to see which way works better in your situation. It is not like you are paying or charging a studio rate here. EXPERIMENT! Find what works well for you.

Since you are probably going to be doing this on a DAW, just get all the stuff on the HD performed as best as possible. I would say that just doing it all at once would be better here. You can edit later. This is how it is mostly done in commercial production (radio and TV, video and audio). Rather that having to pay talent to keep performing it until it is totally on the spot, they use cut/paste editing to get the timing right, and use plug in's to fix dynamic problems. Long as you don't clip your signal to the A/D converters, you can minipulate sound well enough with most plug in's for what you are doing here.

Good luck.

Ed

P.S. I can pick out inexperience pretty easily. I was once inexperienced too you know! ;)

Thanks again Ed. I am working totally on my computer with a Digi001 and Protools LE. I had pretty much decided I would try the approach you suggested because of my setup and the time factors involved, but have had slightly more experience with punching in on keyboard sequencers.

Lynn.:)

Back