Recording programs and micing

marshall.amps

I hope this is the right forum.

I am planning on doing some recording tomorrow and I think I will download audacity (also heard of Sony acid music studio 7, I don't know if it is any better). And then for my mic I will just plug in one of those desktop mics to my computer. Recording punk songs (electric guitar, drums, vocals)

Questions:
1. Audacity or Sony Acid Music Studio 7? (remember I am not spending money)

2. And for the mic I am wondering what I can do to improve quality with out spending too much. I have a laptop and I do not think I would change the sound card (I do not want to rebuild a computer) but if there was something better than a desktop mic I can plug into my laptop?

3. Getting these recordings on to cd? Any tips or ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help at all. I did not realize it until tonight but you can post your recordings here. I will get them up here if I can figure it out. Thanks guys and any and all advice is welcome.

Money IS Tight. BUT You Get What You DON'T PAY FOR!

Aloha,

C'mon. WTF difference does the mic make when you don't want to spend ANY money on getting ANYTHING musical out of computer recording?

I guess you're not fussy about results, huh?

More info please? Like what are you trying to record?

alohachris

Aloha,

C'mon. WTF difference does the mic make when you don't want to spend ANY money on getting ANYTHING musical out of computer recording?

I guess you're not fussy about results, huh?

More info please? Like what are you trying to record?

alohachris

Money is tight but I don't want more than what I pay for. Yes not fussy, the mic obviously is not the only factor in making quality records. I just want to record some stuff.

This is my first time recording (just messing around) and I do not want to spend 1,000 USD just to play around in my spare time and get a little respect. GEESUS! is there a such thing as free fun any more?

And I already said what I am recording read very first post.

Aloha,

I guess what I was getting at was how serious you are about results and learning how to achieve them, and about critical elements of the recording process such as like headroom, clarity, soundstaging, depth, tone, timing, etc. All that BEFORE you invest any time or money.

I recommend that you check out other sites at Gearslutz, (computer forums), Logic Pro, Mac, & Digidesign Users' Forums, Taperssection, etc. I'd ask others here which sites can provide more info.

Go to the sites of products you might be interested in and check their user forums out. The issues of a particular product will become easily apparent to you. Things like latency inconsistencies, which can even vary from model to model from the same manufacturer?!?

Musician's Friend offered this helpful four-part introduction to computer recording which may help you think about what you may need for any level of computer recording.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/computerstudio

Finally, you may wish to learn a thing or two about room treatment before you get started. You may have many free things around your house to help you in that critical area which may acutally be more important than ANY products you may buy or trade for.

IMO, The best thing that's left FOR FREE in music these days is playing with your friends, unplugged. That's where the real juice is. Not in recording which tends to isolate people from the joys of playing/sharing.

alohachris

Aloha,

IMO, The best thing that's left FOR FREE in music these days is playing with your friends, unplugged. That's where the real juice is. Not in recording which tends to isolate people from the joys of playing/sharing.

alohachris

Wow thanks man.

Totally agree with you about the playing unplugged with friends but the friends are like the money. Little short on em. But that's another problem.

I will be sure to post a link if I ever get something recorded and let you know how it went.

I hope this is the right forum.

I am planning on doing some recording tomorrow and I think I will download audacity (also heard of Sony acid music studio 7, I don't know if it is any better). And then for my mic I will just plug in one of those desktop mics to my computer. Recording punk songs (electric guitar, drums, vocals)

Questions:
1. Audacity or Sony Acid Music Studio 7? (remember I am not spending money)

2. And for the mic I am wondering what I can do to improve quality with out spending too much. I have a laptop and I do not think I would change the sound card (I do not want to rebuild a computer) but if there was something better than a desktop mic I can plug into my laptop?

3. Getting these recordings on to cd? Any tips or ideas to point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any help at all. I did not realize it until tonight but you can post your recordings here. I will get them up here if I can figure it out. Thanks guys and any and all advice is welcome.

With your 376 posts, you will have read what recording involves, so you will realise that you are not going to make a significant quality improvement to the set up you've got if you are recording tomorrow.

In that case, use the desktop mike plugged into your laptop. Record using Audacity, and just cross your fingers and hope for the best. Even if it doesn't work out, it will have been fun.

Wait until you see what you've got before thinking about a CD. However, Nero or similar will burn CDs of your recorded material happily.

Well today is my last day off (veterans day or something) and I recorded one song cause thats all I had time for. I did a bunch of others but they were mostly drum beats and I realized today that it is easier to do guitar and vocals then drums. But sorry I took the vocals out I really just used them to help me judge where I was at in the song. And here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odYGFCK0azM

I had lots of fun. And I know what I will be doing over Christmas break and thanksgiving. I don't know why I did not try to find free soft ware like 5 years ago. Please tell me what you think.

Back