Recording Pragram at a University?

david strait

I'm thinking about going back to college to study recording engineering. I've heard that Middle Tennessee State University has a good program. If any of you have studied recording at a university, or know someone who has, I'd really like to hear about the pros and cons. I wonder if a person learns anything there that they couldn't just by building their own studio and figuring stuff out on their own. I know it's a competitive field to go into, but for me it would be more about the info and experience rather than getting out and finding a job in the field. Any input will be greatly appreciated. You guys have a good weekend.

The University of Michgan, where I went to school, has a fairly thorough recording program. You can study sound engineering through the music school, or in conjunction with the electrical engineering department. I only know one person who was in that program so I can't tell you much more than that. But I can tell you that Michigan is the most expensive public university in the country...that may affect your decision.

Thanks. If I do decide to do that I'll probably stay in Tennessee. Spend that tuition money i'll save by being in-state on lots of rad new gear! (I don't think I've used the word RAD since 6th grade!?!?)

Middle Tennessee has the best recording program in the country. If your in the state, dont hesitate to enroll. MTS actually has a dept just for the recording arts, as compared to most schools that just incorporate it into the music programs.

Yeah MTSU is the best recording school like that I was thinking about going but stuff happened and I couldn't go and plus I'm in Chattanooga about 1.5 hours away from here

Back