Recording playback sounds like Alvin and the Chipmunks....

dardur

I am recording using a TASCAM US-144 audio interface and a microphone.
Audacity software (also tested windows recording, same result).

I've been searching around and people are saying this is caused by frequency miss matches however
recordingsettings.jpg

I don't think my computer specs are an issue but i included it anyways.

Everytime i record the playback is super fast and chipmunky and also on occasion it just skips some of the recorded time (like it stops recording for a second or 2 then continues)

Nothing I have found online has helped so far :(

Have you got the el crappo computer sound card disabled?
If not do so, be called "Realtek" or AC97 or similar. Disable it (not "uninstall) in Device Manager and whilst you are about it change Windows Sounds to "No Sounds".

See, SOMETHING is switching the sample rate despite what the pickies say.

Then it might be best to clean out all the Tascam software and re-install and IIRC the 144 has a funny setup protocol? Connect> run drivers>disconnect>reconnect> run some more? The AI should have come with Cubase, beats Audacity for general home recording. If no Cubase try Reaper or my fave for a simple, free DAW, Magix Samplitude Pro X Silver.

Dave.

One thing to check is the playback speed control. I don't know how Audacity works, but in Reaper, with the transport controls is a slider that changes the playback speed. There have been a number of times when I've inadvertently changed this and experienced similar problems. I was going crazy trying to figure it out, then saw the slider way over to one side. Put it back into its central position and everything was fine again.

Try changing that setting from Mono Recording to Stereo Recording.

attachment.php.jpg

Also, check if Software Playthrough checked in the Transport Menu? If it is, un-check it.

aud.jpg

Last edited:
On a quick search around for other people with similar issues it was a suggestion that worked. I'll try and find the link as it was explained why.

Back