Recording overdubs, while being able to hear previous recorded

Nick The Man

One thing that really drives me crazy with pro tools, is...errmm! Lets set up a senario, I have recorded a guitar solo. The whole thing is perfect, except for one bend. So I want to go back and just re-record the bend. So on the same guitar track that has the solo I use the selector tool and place my cursor a little bit before the bend so I can get ready. Now I hit record and expect to hear my previously recorded guitar track... but no I don't! It just records over exsiting material. It drives me nuts cause all other programs I've recorded on it has allowed me to record over previous audio and still hear it.

Now I know that I could just create another guitar track and record the bend on there and then move it back up to the other track. And I am also aware of pre and post roll. But is there anyway I can simply record over a track and hear what is there?? Am I missing something?

Yes you can. You have to turn auto input monitoring on or off(not sure which one it is). On the mac its option K and on the pc its Alt K i believe. Also it's in the track drop down menu. After switching this you should be able to hear previously recorded material if you are punching in on the same track. I hope your using the punch record mode.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Yeah I've had auto input monitoring set to off, thats the setting where you can hear the previous recorded audio. But unless you use punch recording like you said, it doesn't work. It looks like I am just going to have to get used to punch recording.

Well it wont be that hard to get used to it. Just highlight the area you want to record put a preroll and your good to go. It does everything for you!

Back