Recording over backing track

B'emtza

First, here's what I'm using: Yamaha MG16 mixer, Delta 44 sound card, Shure SM57 mic in Channel 1. Acoustica Mixcraft 5 mixing program or Audacity 1.2.6. Now the problem. I have to record a soloist, harmonica player, playing with the music of a backing track. The finished recording should give me a track of the backing track and a track of the soloist. This will enable me to edit the sound levels of both. They are then saved as an MP3 file. For setup I load the backing track in Channel 1. With Audacity I click Record, a new channel opens up recording the original backing track. If I try to setup a seperate channel for the soloist and start recording both the backing file and the soloist are on the same track. The same thing happens with Acoustica Mixcraft 5. The backing file and soloist end up on the same track. I need them seperate so the sound levels can be editied then the both tracks saved into one MP3 file. This can be uploaded and made into a CD. How do I get the tracks to be seperate?

I don't quite understand whats going on here, so I'll explain how I would do it. I use Mixcraft 5 btw.

Firstly I would insert the backing track file into an audio track on Mixcraft. Then on the track below I would arm the correct channel for the mixer, and then record the soloist onto this track. This will only record whats coming in from the armed channel, yet it will play the backing track whilst recording.

Make sure your setting the recording source up right. If your using stereo mix it will record everything that the computer hears. Make sure its armed for the correct channel.

This should simply give you your 2 separate tracks.

Is that Delta 44 soundcard capable of simultaneous recording and monitoring? You probably need a USB audio interface with that capability.

Hey Steve... I have to consider you the genius on this one. I kept missing the idea that the recording of the soloist could not be in stereo. The Delta 44 works perfectly. The backing track was put onto the 1st track with Delta 3/4 left channel. The mic and soloist went to the track below with Delta 1/2 right chanel. The recording is perfect and I have the ability to edit the sound levels. Thanks a heap.

Back