Recording Over 8 Inputs

SteveCPerrino

okay, so I know that the only preamps I've seen like the firepod only have up to 8 inputs...

but I'm trying to record drums with 12 inputs, and I need to record more at the same time, but I don't want to use a mixer because I want to have seperate tracks on my DAW.

Is there anything out there that will have 12 inputs simultaneously and have seperate tracks on my DAW?

Thanks!

-Steve

Yeah, his answer.

Ha no seriously though, expand your options from a Firepod and consider some "bigger and better" preamps. Technically, you can use the S/PDIF for maybeeee another two channels, but you'd have to get mic preamps with S/PDIF out and plug your mic right into that, which still only gives you ten inputs.

Two things to think about. Try sacrificing mics where you can (aka bottom mic only on a snare, single kick mic instead of two, only two overheads instead of two OH and a hat mic) and that way you'll be able to sacrifice some more channels. If you've got a board at your disposal, you're even better off. You could subgroup your snare mics - use the subgroup output instead of the DO's on each channel, etc, etc. If you are going straight in, just try to cut back mics where you can. Using my board, I just recorded a drumset with 4 toms, snare, kick, and a ton of cymbals WITH a rough guitar track - all in 8 tracks. It can be done :cool:

Second thing to think about - think about craigs-listing your Firepod and investing in a Motu, an 002/003, an RME....SOMETHING that isn't a Firepod. Firepods are very limited in their capabilities. That's why they're only $400. All of the above interface companies have brands with 8 inputs AND an ADAT input that you can lightpipe another ADAT preamp with 8 additional preamps into it as well as having a Word Clock in/out. Very nice for your time code. Your computer will thank you for it. Think about it, though.

Send me a personal message if you want help in figuring out how to mic the kit with a decent sound with only 8 ins. We'll see what we can do.

Or a mixer with the fw interface built in, there's a bunch if firewire mixers out there in all price/quality ranges - A&H zed, yamaha n-series, mackie onyx, alesis multimix, phonic helix, etc.. I love em! The typically send the signal pre-fader, so you can monitor on the mixer, add comfort fx for the musicians, but still record dry signals.

Otherwise like Tim says, 2 (or more) interfaces. Firewire is capable of streaming more channels than you will ever need to record in any practical application.

The ASIO drivers recognize multiple interfaces as long as they use the same driver. So 2 firepods, no prob. 4 MOTU mkiii's, no prob. A firepod and a MOTU, not gonna work.

Also, you might not need a 2nd interface, if your 1st one has digital i/o, you could get something like a M-audio octane, I beleive that's 8 pre's that can send all 8 distinct channels via spdif to your interface, which would send those 8 AND it's own 8 channels over the firewire.

I've gone through this thought process before - its a lot less hassle and cheaper to just invest in another interface. You could always get some pre-amp strip with digital out but its gonna cost you more than just getting another firepod. The firepod is also going to be by far the easiest to set up.

In my opinion its either that or, what carny said, use less mics. you can easily get by using 8 channels for drums. 10 is a nice number if you want to use room mics but then again if you can afford a good enough room then i guess you can afford another firepod.

Second thing to think about - think about craigs-listing your Firepod and investing in a Motu, an 002/003, an RME....SOMETHING that isn't a Firepod. Firepods are very limited in their capabilities. That's why they're only $400. All of the above interface companies have brands with 8 inputs AND an ADAT input that you can lightpipe another ADAT preamp with 8 additional preamps into it as well as having a Word Clock in/out. Very nice for your time code. Your computer will thank you for it. Think about it, though.

I like this approach. It sounds like you're looking at a Firepod and haven't purchased one yet. Try checking out the Tascam FW-1804 and adding an 8-channel preamp with an ADAT connection (such as a Behringer ADA8000 or similar). With 4 pre's on the Tascam, plus 8 by ADAT, you'd be in business and still have 4 inputs left over for bass, keyboards, etc.

I'm going to date myself here, but must it be into a DAW? If you're running that many inputs, I assume you're tracking stuff live. Have you considered an inline mixer and (gasp!) a couple of ADAT machines? :eek: If you make a lot of edits, this might not be a great solution. However, if you're after lots of simultaneous channels for live tracking, you can do it very inexpensively on digital tape... and could even bounce them over to a DAW later.

Yes, I suggested ADAT tape machines. Let the flogging begin... :)

Hahaa, ADAT machines have got me out of trouble on so many occasions :D Most studios that have been around for a few years have a few sat collecting dust in racks, and sometimes you just can't avoid them...

But yes, like the others I would recommend an interface that can be expanded via ADAT connections. Very versatile, as you can mix-and-match pretty much anything that uses optical ADAT connections. For general use I use my Motu 896HD hooked up to a Behringer ADA8000, but one of the studios I go to has a Yamaha 02R with ADAT cards which I can easily hook up to for a slightly better set of pre's and converters than the Behringer :)

...but one of the studios I go to has a Yamaha 02R with ADAT cards which I can easily hook up to for a slightly better set of pre's and converters than the Behringer :)

Oh come on now, who said less than $300 for 8 pres had ANYTHING to do with sound quality?!? :p

I'll stick with the Presonus Digimax ADAT hahaha.

But hey, if you're working with live recording bands and you're using every channel's DO, you can't beat throwing a few of those Behringers on your rack and plug 'em into your interface. I'd be recording a live set in 16 bit anyway, and no one's going to be nitty-gritty picky about a live recording or say, "oh, by golly gee, did you use those darned Behringer pres again?" I'd smack a bitch if they did. :D

I have to say, the Behringer is an impressive unit for the price :)
One of the few pieces of Behringer gear that I'm happy to own.
Just if there's better on offer, may as well leech off of it!

Haha no it really is pretty sweet for the price. If you do compare it at 24/96 to the Digimax or something like that, does it sounds as clear? No, but it's a fourth of the price. They're really not too bad. A buddy of mine had a Motu 2408 MK3 with three of those thrown on it and he could do, what, like 32 simultaneous ins? Sick stuff.

Back