Recording Order

v6v6v6

Here's a newb question that I never entirely figured out... What's the order of instruments (including vocals) you should follow when recording? For example, would you create a demo of rhythm and voice, and then have the drums, bass, guitar, and vocals? And how would you record a song where drums come in during the middle of a song?

I ALWAYS do the drum track first if I'm doing everything seperate. Otherwise, at least make a generic click track and lay some basic bass or guitar on it. Your timing is going to be all over the place, otherwise. After drums, I do the bass or guitar. Many people prefer the bass first, but I usually like to have a tight guitar track or two on there first - that way, I can feel the bass better when recording it. Then layer the bass and guitar to your liking. Next is vocals. And finally, the extra stuff (synth, fills, more vocals, etc.). Again, this is how I do it - everyone takes a different approach. The most important thing is to have a perfect click or drum track first.

v6v6v6 said:
Here's a newb question that I never entirely figured out... What's the order of instruments (including vocals) you should follow when recording? For example, would you create a demo of rhythm and voice, and then have the drums, bass, guitar, and vocals? And how would you record a song where drums come in during the middle of a song?

I personally would record a band like this
Drums > Bass > (Keyboards) > Rhythm Guitar > Lead Guitar > Vocals > (B/Vocals)

I always do vocals last, because than the vocalist can get the feel of the music more so than just singing to nothing. Since the drummer isnt starting off the song i suggest get him to count everyone in by doing a simple count on his hi hat,to the tempo, until his part. That should keep the guitarist and bassist in time.

Good luck.

v6v6v6 And how would you record a song where drums come in during the middle of a song?[/QUOTE said:
You could record using a click track to keep your timing and place in the song or depending on what equipment you are using to record you could always have a basic drum beat/pattern etc through the whole song and then cut and edit as required where you no longer want the drums.

I have recorded a few tracks where drums come in later in the piece or drop in and out, I use the track cut/erase method, somewhat primitive it may seem to some but at least I get the result I am after.

Thanks guys, you all seem to use the same basic order to start with--drums, bass, (rhythm), etc. A bunch of my previous recordings were started all over the place and I'd have to cut-and-paste like mad to get the other tracks in sync. That's probably just one of the reasons why the production sounds so sloppy. :)

Back