Recording on BR8 with a mic amp

gtrist

Need opinions,
What is the best way to record to my Br8 from my amp? I am using a Shure 57 mic and placing it in front of my amp obviously. I have the mic plug into the guitar/bass input. Now the problem I am having is the Br8 effects are changing the way the sound is coming from my amp. I am trying to get the exact sound from my amp to record. I'm sure I am just missing something. I would think you would be able to bypass the effects part of the Br8 and record the amp as you hear it. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Doug

This can be fixed by going into your Utility and choose "effects". Then choose "record dry". Also turn your Reverb down on your input channel.

Thats how I record my guitars through my BR8. You can hear the kind of sound I get at www.mp3.com/steven_diemert

Lemme know if you have any more questions.

Steven

Thanks for that info Steven. You answered some other questions of mine a while back. I thought it probably had something to do with recording dry. I also have checked out your recordings and you diffently are the man with Br8 knowledge. I am grateful for your time in answering all of our questions. I noticed that you have answered alot of Br8 questions. You are saving me time in sharing your knowledge of the Br8, Thanks Again,

Doug

Oh yeah, I also have a Behringer 2004a eurorack. Would this be of use by running through the mixer first and mixing some before inputing into the Br8?

Doug

LOL

We have the same setup. I have the Behringer 1804X Euro Rack....... And I would recommend trying both scenerios. (Straight to the BR-8. and through the board then to the BR8) It all depends on your room/amp/mic placement and the sound you are searching for.

Play around with it. The Possiblities are endless. Sometimes too much so. LOL

I hope this helps.

Steven

Thanks again Steven,

I plan on spending the afternoon in my studio trying your suggested techniques. I first have to recover from spending last night at a old classic concert at good ole Fresno, Ca. Fair. Featured was Loverboy opening up for Eddie Money. I do think that Loverboy should have headlined though, much better performance. Mike Reno still has it when it comes to vocals. Anyway I will let you know how things go in todays session.

Keep ona Rockin
Doug

gtrist said:
Need opinions,
What is the best way to record to my Br8 from my amp? I am using a Shure 57 mic and placing it in front of my amp obviously. I have the mic plug into the guitar/bass input. Now the problem I am having is the Br8 effects are changing the way the sound is coming from my amp. I am trying to get the exact sound from my amp to record. I'm sure I am just missing something. I would think you would be able to bypass the effects part of the Br8 and record the amp as you hear it. Any help would sure be appreciated.
Doug

Doug,
When you record with a mic you'll get best results from plugging the mic into the mic input on the BR8. The mic input offers a different set of insert effects which are more geared to mic recording. As you know, you can bypass the insert effects but I believe you will still get improved sound quality using the mic input because you will be utilizing the Br8's mic pre-amp.
God bless.

Cary

Here is my 2 cents.

The problem with using the insert effects is that you lose your true "original" sound from your guitar amp. Now, if for some reason you DONT like your original sound, By all means try to color it up with some different effects.

I find it is always BEST to record dry and add effects later if it needs it..

Hope this helps.

Steven

www.mp3.com/steven_diemert

First let me say thanks for the info fellow musicians. Steven, I found your info on recording dry was what I was after. I wanted the sound from my amp duplicated. I am a guitarist who likes not having to use alot of effects, especially on my rhythm tracks. I also like the idea of adding effects, ( if needed ) after recording the track. Saying that, I must agree that there could be some different sounds from recording with the mic input effects that I might use in the future. There is so many possibilities with the Br8 that it seems almost endless. With the ability to tweak every effect, in any direction you want to go, in what ever instrament is plugged in, is where the fun begins. I still try to keep it simple though. I try to rely on the player more than the recorder to make the songs sound good...... With that being said I must get going and get ready for tonights Fresno State Bulldogs game. Having a huge tailgate party to get in the right state of mind :).

Keep ona rockin'

Doug

Hmm ... here's how I record with my beloved BR8. :)

At ALL time I record dry with no insert effect. The reason? I can always add the effect when I bounce the tracks. If you use the insert effect while recording, and then you find that you don't exactly like the effect, it is too late. Record a dry guitar (vocal, or whatever you need to record). Add the effect later. You can always add things later, but if you record with the effect, there's no way to eliminate that.

My 38 cents. ;)

I know I'm late on the response, but here goes:

The easiest way to bypass (record dry) plugged into guitar or mic input is to hit the effect button once & turn the BR8 big selector dial thing left or right one click. Voila you bypass all effects and thus record "dry".

Doesn't everyone do it this way???

My 1.5 cents

cj

Back