recording on a laptop

ahj

hey, im fairly new to this board.
I normally record to a fostex mr8 digital recorder from a yamaha 12 track mixer. The only problem is the fostex has very limited space, and on my newest project i neeed a lot of space. My question is if i hook my mixer up straight to my laptop(standard mic input) will there be a big loss in sound quality? im guessing it's only a mono input, so is there any way i can record it in stereo?
thanks for the help,
ahj

teaching pigs to fly.............

ahj said:
hey, im fairly new to this board.
I normally record to a fostex mr8 digital recorder from a yamaha 12 track mixer. The only problem is the fostex has very limited space, and on my newest project i neeed a lot of space. My question is if i hook my mixer up straight to my laptop(standard mic input) will there be a big loss in sound quality? im guessing it's only a mono input, so is there any way i can record it in stereo?
thanks for the help,
ahj

you will need daw software and a better sound card to match what you have
now.

you can find free(ish) software but the learning curve can be steep(ish). you can spend 200 to 2000 (or more) on converters.

is it possible...yes
do you want to do it......

ps...see if you can find someone in your area that is doing this and spend some time with them during a session, see whats up.

Back