Recording my band live in my practice room

I suppose what I am going to say will not change squat if you have a gung-ho wannabe recordist bass player but!

Your time and money might be better spent in a proper studio. The Babyface setup can be used to sharpen up your musical skills? A studio is no place to argue song order or rewrite key changes!

Another idea: The Allen and Heath M track recorders?

Dave.

I did offer to go to a real studio but my bassist was offended. He just finished his school as sound technician and of course he wants to apply what he learned and practice. We will probably do the same setup as last week, it sounded pretty good once we mixed up the song. We had 2 over head, one for the bass drum and one near the hi hat. The hi hat was too loud though and it was hard to lower it since not only that mic recorded it. But it's ok we learn from our mistakes and next time we will do more sound checks before we record. Also we will record the singer after, his mic was recording everything else too hehe. So that means we will also have two more inputs to put mics for the drum (one that was used last time for the singer and one we didn't use because of phantom power). Thank you for your comment.

The hi hat was too loud though and it was hard to lower it since not only that mic recorded it.

hi-hats seems to be able to cut through anything. As someone pointed out, that's where the advantage of lots of close mikes comes in . . . you minimise the bleed from elsewhere. However, in a four-mike configuration, a mike under the hi-hat pointing at the snare can usually eliminate most high-hat but leave enough to be useful.

Also we will record the singer after, his mic was recording everything else too hehe.

That's a reasonable and not uncommon practice.

and one we didn't use because of phantom power

There is no need to sacrifice a channel with phantom power because you don't have condenser to plug into it. A dynamic will happily go in there. Someone else pointed that plugging a dynamic into a phantom-powered input will not cause any damage. Your audio-schooled bass-player should know this if his course is any good.

Back