Recording Minutes for the MR8

Metal Marc

Pretend Action Guy (PAG)
Hey, all. I just got a Fostex MR8 and of course it came with the basic flash card which gives me 23 minutes of recording time or thereabout. I made it through the first quarter of the manual and decided to record a demo. I did a few drum tracks and it said I had 11 minutes left. Then I went back to start on my guitars and it started taking away minutes.

Is this how the MR8 is supposed to work? I figured it was like a CD, which holds 80 minutes of music no matter what. I figured I was gonna have 23 minutes no matter if I used all 8 (actually, 6) tracks or just one track, as long as I have tracks to record on.

I'm gonna hit the manual again tomorrow to see if there's something I'm doing wrong but can someone please, please enlighten me?

Lost in Oklahoma,
Metal Marc

Surprise...

well, the good news is...yes, that is how the mr-8 works.

the 128 card give you 24 minutes of track time. you record 1 track, you can make it 24 minutes long.

but if you record 2 tracks, you could only make them 12 minutes long.

thats where the complaint is.....if you record onto all 8 tracks, that give you a 3 minute song. which ain't quite long enoug.

depending on what you are going to do with the tracks, there are several options.

first off, the card have came WAY WAY down in price recently.

2nd, going to the computer via wavmanager is an option

i don't use the bounce feature much. i just record 8 straight tracks, so i picked up a generic card and it worked for me.

welcome to the wonderful world of wecording..........

bad joke. sorry.

I was suprised by this as well, but now after recording a song it makes sense, however, I did notice that if I recorded something and then hit the UNDO/REDO, the recorded portion will erase as it should but the time that it took to record was still subtracted . Since I erased it, shouldn't I get that now erased time back? Or am I doing something wrong?

minutes

also with the older versions of the operating system you have to use the delete unused function or all the bad takes will still be on the card eating up time.....

The good news is that you CAN upgrade your operating system on the MR-8. This wasn't made clear by the others. The current is V1.20.

Also, check out the other thread that talked about the cheap 1 gig cards. This should give plenty of record time. If you get a card reader ($10-20) for the CF card, your can "explore" your way through the card and cherry pick you best takes etc. assuming you choose to not go the auto-erase route. It's really quite a versitile machine. If only it would recorder more tracks simultaneously...

Regards, Steve

mr 8

if it is new, it should have the new software, if he bought it used, who knows....

the best way to utilise the mr8 and its memory limitations are to use the mr 8 to record and transfer the tracks to the pc and mix with software, n trac has 88 tracks plus the effects in the mr 8 are useless and you will get control of the eq

and dont forget you will need a mixer or a preamp to record with, the pre amps on the mr8 arent hot enough to get a strong signal....

i like using a mixer, i can record 12 channels at once.. and get eq control which you dont get with just a preamp

Firewalker said:
I was suprised by this as well, but now after recording a song it makes sense, however, I did notice that if I recorded something and then hit the UNDO/REDO, the recorded portion will erase as it should but the time that it took to record was still subtracted . Since I erased it, shouldn't I get that now erased time back? Or am I doing something wrong?
In order to get back the time you lost when you undo a track, you have to go into the menu and "delete unused", because the mr8 records two wave files each time you record a track, the second wave is for the undo feature. If you don't want to change your mind and put the track back, you have to delete the unused tracks to gain back the time lost. Hope this was helpful....

like i said

dave in toledo said:
also with the older versions of the operating system you have to use the delete unused function or all the bad takes will still be on the card eating up time.....

its ok, i think you are helping to drive in the point,,,, good job

Back