recording lp's to your computer

Seek and ye shall find...

Welcome,

This question has been answered several times and you'll find lots of information if you search this BBS.

Good luck

/Ola

P.s. Record player line out (probably through your hifi amplifier) -> soundcard line in. Hit record in your favourite recording software. If necessary, convert the resulting wave files to 16bit/44.1kHz format (CD format) and burn them onto a CDR. Done:) d.s

That's true, lots of information on the web, including a tutorial at Syntrillium's website. Anyhow here's a simple version: you need a phono preamp and a gain stage between the turntable and the computer. I bought an RCA stereo integrated amp (part number 31-5000 at Radio Shack) for $60, and plugged the turntable into the phono inputs. The tape outs went into my mixer (tape outs are at line level, and at fixed gain: i.e., turning up the volume knob won't raise the level coming out at those outputs) so I could boost the gain. Out of the mixer, into the computer. Once you get it recorded you will need noise reduction. I use Cool Edit Pro, which has a click&pop eliminator as well as hiss and noise reduction. You will find that the rumble is the hardest thing to get rid of. I have taken a couple of nearly 30-year-old out of print albums and made acceptable CDs from them. Good luck
John

Back