Recording live video.

Wack

Hey guys, I wasent sure where to put this. So I thought I would go ahead and try it here. What I'm trying to do is record video with a basic picture/video camra, and get a decent quality sound. I'm just trying to sing, and play the acoustic guitar, nothing major like a whole band. I've got mics, amps, a mixer, How would I go about getting the best quality sound? Because raw video recording just sounds dull, and quiet. Also distorty. Thanks for the help guys.

Most consumer camcorders treat sound as an afterthought.
Cheap mics, poor preamps and built-in limiters that smash everything in the room.
You really have to get into expensive prosumer cameras to get decent sound quality.

You CAN however use a separate recorder or your computer to record the sound separately and then merge it with the video in a video-editing program (Windows Movie Maker is free but highly limited, Sony Vegas Studio is excellent and less than $50...)

Here's how I would do it:

Step 1: Start recording with the video camera.
Step 2: Mic anything you wish to - your guitar, your voice, etc. and start recording into the computer.
Step 3: Play the song as many times as you need to get a perfect take.
Step 4: Stop both recordings and save them to the same directory on your computer.
Step 5: Use any simple video editing application (such as iMovie or Windows Movie Maker) and import both the audio and video track.
Step 6: Align the tracks so the audio from the camera matches up with the audio you recorded into your computer.
Step 7: Choose the take you like the most and cut all of the other takes out of the video. This is a good time to add a transition such as a fade to the beginning or end of the video. You can also add a title card to the beginning if you want to.
Step 8: Finally, mute or extract the audio from the camera so you can only hear the good recorded audio.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yup just like the early days of MTV record a great song then lip sync a video to it.
You can do many takes for instance in the studio shots, live show shots, then out door shots, hang gliding shots, yachting shots, etc. etc. the list can go on forever. Just get creative.
Then edit what looks good as a theme with the song. Very easy to accomplish and much more entertainment value of just looking at someone sitting there singing and playing.

:cool:

Thanks guys, I've got some considering to do. I apprechieate the replies, They were very usefull.

This is an interesting thread to me because I've had difficulty recording live on a cam. Firstly the finger technique on a keyboard is a give away if it doesn't sync right with the audio version, and I'm having great difficulty getting good quality sound with mic/vocals/piano on video on one take.

Back