Recording level?

Just for the record

It is commen thought to use compression only when needed.
How ever.... It tends to sound like from many posts on this BBS that compression is used only to save a take or when you messed up on the levels or you cant control your playing etc.....
I'm talking about compression on the tracking and not on the Mastering process.

It is rare to hear any popular music done with out compression. Engineers all over the world reach for the compressor to record for example - E. Bass, with out thinking twice.
They are carefull to use it corectly and many choose to compress lightly, but compress they do !!.
I don't remember were I read it but Roger Nichols said he almost always tracks vocals with light compression as a starter.
I think the "don't use it if you don't have to" is missing the point. You don't have to use ANY effect for that matter.
But I don't here people say "Hey don't use a reverb if you don't have to".
I'm sure some people dont know how much damage a reverb can do to your mix. I hear more messed up mix's done, due to abuse of a reverb then a compressor !.
From muddy, cloudy, dial up a preset that is wrong for the tune, overdone, wrong decay time, wrong predelay time,etc....

People worry about the color change a compressor will do but they have no problem flinging the EQ back and forth.

If you abuse a compressor then of course your doing more damage then good, but a compressor can make the difference between an pro sound to a amature sound.

If you use a crappy compressor don't expect to get results.
Would you get results from a cheap mic or a cheap reverb unit?.

For a home recordist with out the tecnique of a pro player,
compression can save his/her ass many a times. Most people sound better compressed then not.

In short what I'm saying is that people should not be so afraid of compression. Better to use one and learn how to do it corectly and listen to how it affects your sound.
I'm not saying go compress the hell out of every thing in sight, but it's no more problematic then any other processor or effect out there.
My small and humble opinion.

I agree with you Shailat... to a point! The problem is that in the hands of a rookie, compression *IS* more likely to do more harm than good!

You're right - compression is used during tracking on many instruments (bass/vocals), but it is used only for it's intended purpose, and used in a minimalist sense, with great awareness of exactly what it's doing to the track.

In general terms, minimum signal path will *always* result in cleaner signals than when it's muddied-up with devices. The last thing people should ever do is patch in compressors (or any other devices) into their chain simply because they have it there.... I guess you could sum it up as "if it's in the chain, make sure you know why you put it there!"

(hmmm... another sig file!!!) ;)

Bruce

bvaleria said:
I agree with you Shailat... to a point! The problem is that in the hands of a rookie, compression *IS* more likely to do more harm than good!

This is why I said in my earlier post "IF DONE CORRECTLY". I'm very careful when compressing, because even though I'm still kind of a "rookie", a"jeep", a "greenhorn", I know compression can either make it nice and punchy or if your not careful, choke the livin' shit out of it. I just like everything nice and punchy. I think I know why I'm puttin' it in there. I don't want levels climbin' all over the place. Does that sound dumb ? I just got up and the gears in my head have a hard time freein' up in the morning

TJ...

Somewhere between my "minimalist" attitude and Shailat's "don't worry about it" attitude is the answer you're looking for!!! ;)

(go for minimalist, go for minimalist, go for minimalist!!!)

:D

Bruce

I didn't say "Don't worry about it".

What I said is that ANY processor can cause the same anout of damage in the hands of unskilled people.
Reverb is more problematic then a compressor, yet nobody seems to worry to much about applying it freely while compression seems to freak out some people.

I want to hear all these wonderfull singers and Bass players and drummers and brass players etc...etc. that don't seem to need compression at all.

I'll pay them double the union price to play for me. Just send me your email with a tape and you have a job lined up !!

I'm no engineer, but I know how to read and I'm a mediator.

Bruce, you said: "I agree with you Shailat... to a point!"

But I think you agree with Shailat entirely and actually. He said that reverb in the hands of a rookie who doesn't know how to use it does as much or more damage than compression. And speaking of compression, he added:

"Better to use one and learn how to do it corectly and listen to how it affects your sound."

My bet is, you agree completely with this. My hope is, someone will get stimulated enough to say something I can learn from. Wanna be something other than a rookie.

Guys... I'm not arguing with Shailat - I re-read both our posts and we're saying the exact same thing in slightly different ways!!! So Dobro, you're right... it's not "...to a point!" - I just agree... simple!

But I'm still a minimalist!!!! ;)

Bruce :D

I'm all stimulated !!!!!!

Dobro,
You play acoustic guitar correct?

Did you know that if you set the ratio between 3:1 and 5:1 -adjust the attack time towards a slower attack -adjust the release time to a 1 to 2 seconds,
adjust the treshold to reduce by 3-7dB on the loudest part of the track and
you'll get a strong attack on your guitar with a very clear sound and lots of defenition.
Fine tunning the attack-threshold-ratio will get you the sound you like if the sound is to exaggerated.

You got to love compression

Do you know that if you compress a kick drum at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio and then boost with the EQ some lower end then send it through a noise gate to cut it off and boost the level, you will have a kick that can kill humans.

Did you know that compressing synth bass is less common. The even output from a synth is more likley then a bass player and the attack of the sound should be adjusted from the synth and not the compressor.

Did you know that compressing a bellish sound can be a mistake. It might lose
some of it's clarity. If you want more attack on the bell use the same technique from the acoustic guitar. If you use a slow release on the bell it willincrease the length of the bell itself.

I'm tired and going to sleep

I Learned My Lesson !

I was compressing every track I laid down. Whether it be drums,guitar,distortedguitar,bass,piano,whatever. Not because I figured, "Well I have a compressor, so I'm cool. (I mean, I'm only using a Nanocompressor. It's all I could afford). But, because I thought I had to, to maintain a nice consistant level, But always careful not to choke it. Plus, I like the way it punches up the bass. But since this post, My waysa thinkin' have changed. Unfortunatly, I'm waiting on a new (to me) computer so I'm not set up to experiment with this. I have read posts on here that are kind of negative about the Nano. But I'll tell ya, it's not a bad little unit for $100.00.
;)Thanx Recording Gods, :cool:"T.J.Hooker"

Since you're all here..........

Great thread for someone like me who's learning and experimenting right now.

Shailat, I was already in the ballpark of your compression suggestions for acoustic guitar. What say you for the compression settings for the vocal that will accompany it? A little heavier? Faster release?

I cant realy answer that question becuase it depends on the mix and the singer and not on the guitar.

Using the same tecnique on vocals, might result in exaggerated sibilant sounds,
causing word that start with "s" or "t" to sound harsh.

Back