Recording Large Band/Choir and the acoustics thats involved

Sabith

Well........ I'm still new enough at recording that I can't always make my point because I really just don't have the exp to back up what I say. This is my dilema:

I just went to a new High School for my final year and I hear this really shitty recording of O'Canada over the PA.... I was thinking to myself how horrible it sounded(both the choir and the band version), and because I'm in both band and choir I approached the music teachers and asked them if they would want me to record a new version.

They were very happy with this idea. But I got into the arguement about ambient sound, places that sound great live for a band/choir(ie a church) don't usually sound good for recording, I said. And he went on... and on.... countering my thoughts....

but is it better to get the choir into our practise room and mic each of the sections seperatly(saprano, alto, tenor and bass) or should I use stereo mic in the middle??

I will be using a Rode NT-1 and 3 57's most likely, I might be able to borrow another NT-1 though =)

if so...... how should I go about micing, and where should I record it?( I was thinking that ambience could be added in after with reverb and other effects....)

Sabith

try both!

option A)record the song twice through once stereo micing, seconf time indivdul groups.

option B)record with the 57s pointed between each group if you are in a line(small choir) and Rodes ORTF. or if large and standing in blocks i would stereo mic using ORTF - take the NT1s and make the capsule 110 degrees facing away from eachother, and the center of each capsule... i forgot how many centimeters 17 i think? eck.. that is the best setup ive found for room. and then use a 57 per range, two will have to use the same mic; which ever sound loudest throught Rodes (most likely soprano and alto). so when you mix you do stereoORTF sounds good should NT1s work well in this setup for room. then bring up what you need, you want some boomier baritone or bass or tenor just bring up those mics.

Sabith, this is just what I've heard, and not based on experience, but a lot of classical trackers use a pair of the same mic (maybe get your hands on that other Rode) in a nice room, and experiment with placement to get the best sound the room can offer. The room's really important. Often, getting the recording right means having to make few or no adjustments in the mix, which is desirable with music like this. If you can't find a room with a good sound, then go for the EQ and reverb in the mix option.

About tracking the group in sections: it's way simpler to record the whole shebang at one go. If you break up the choir into sections and record them separately, how are you going to ensure they're all singing to the same beat? Do you have enough headphones to go around? :)

O Canada!

Definitely record them live!

I wouldn't mess with overdubbing, especially when so many people are involved. Since it's a high school, I would bet that they have a fairly decent auditorium with halfway ok acoustics. Just don't record them in the gym!! :)
The practice room/add effects later is a nice idea ... but if it's too small and the people are uncomfortable ... you'll get a poor performance anyway.
I think your best bet is to record them in the auditorim with a stereo pair of condensers. Maybe use the NT1s in an XY pattern out in the audience and use the SM57s on stage pointed at each section. Then record to multitrack so you can adjust the levels of each mic upon mixdown.
During initial tracking, move the NT1s closer if you're getting too much room sound. The room will be a bit more live since there's no bodies in there soaking up the sound waves. This is the tricky part ... finding that perfect position for the ambient mics. Probably what the original engineer didn't consider.
This is how I'd do it, anyway.
Good Luck!

heheh I think U misunderstood me a little dobro

heh.... I didn't mean break up the sections and record them one at a time, but put 1 mic on each section and record them all at the same time =)

and by practise room I mean, the room we usually practise in, not a really small room meant for only 5 people,
we EASLY fit the choir in this room =)

Thx for the help,

Sabity

My advice, from my experience recording mostly classical music, classical singers and opera singers, is to find the best acoustic room you can find. Most likely it will be in a church.

I love to use the ORTF technique. For that I use a matched pair of KM-184, they are very nice. If you cannot rent them and have a lower budget, use the AT-4041, they are very good too.

For large orchestra/choir, I then use some additional mikes (for example on the woodwind section, ...). I don't believe it's possible to do a very good recording with only 2 mikes.

Most of the time, the additional mikes will be about 5db lower than the stereo pair. But of course, that depends on many things.

Since I record to multitrack, I can always play with the levels later. Sometimes I don't use some of the additional mikes at all, but they are there in case I would need them.

Mike placement is important, especially for the stereo pair, so don't worry spending time on getting it right.

I hope this helps,

Eric.

Back