Recording keyboard only: do I really need a DAW.......(has anyone done this?)

joey2000, I believe there are many people with high-end Yamaha arranger workstations who regularly do what you're asking about. If you're wanting to keep it under $1000 then as far as Yamaha goes I'd suggest taking a look at the new PSR-S670-- which doesn't seem to be available in the USA yet, although it's already available just about everywhere else, so it's just a matter of time (hopefully within the month) before it's available here, too. As for other brands-- Korg, Roland, etc.-- I'm not familiar with what the onboard sequencers/recorders can do. And truth be told, I have no personal experience with the PSR-S models or the Tyros line, although I know from participation in other forums that people do record on them, including multi-tracking and vocals. I'm more of a DAW man, myself, but to each his own. :)

:facepalm:

OK. My bad I guess for mentioning the Roland and Korg. This is not a thread about AIs but DAWs. Let's assume I get a keyboard with built-in speakers. :)

I guess nobody here has done what I was wondering about but thx anyway -

I don't have much knowledge of keyboards but I doubt there is very much about with anything but the most modest speaker/amplifier systems? To get even the most basic monitoring quality you need about 50watts per side and 4" speakers. Hard to see how to put that in a keyboard and power it and make it portable? Good kbds are already quite heavy I understand.

Even if good amps and speakers were fitted (and the box made pretty big!) if it then had the sophisticated programing you seem to need it would be very expensive.
I just cannot see such a beast being economically viable.

Dave.

:facepalm:

OK. My bad I guess for mentioning the Roland and Korg. This is not a thread about AIs but DAWs. Let's assume I get a keyboard with built-in speakers. :)

I guess nobody here has done what I was wondering about but thx anyway -

DAW = Digital Audio Workstation. It's a catch-all name that can/may include everything you are using to record - whether it be a stand-alone device (plus monitoring system) or a software package (plus the required hardware).

Back