Recording Keyboard in Stereo on Tascam Neo 2488

awyatt1

I would like to record my keyboard in stereo using my Tascam Neo 2488 and I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly. Currently, I have the left output of the keyboard going to input E on the Neo and the right output of the keyboard going to input F on the Neo. Then, I link inputs E and F. Is that all I have to do to record in stereo, or do I have to pan something?

Thanks for the response, gecko. I think I probably didn't fully ask my question. Inputs E and F are 1/4 inch balanced inputs, by the way. Anyway, after linking input channels E and F, the next thing I have been doing is linking tracks 1 and 2 to create a stereo pair. Then, I assign the linked channels E-F to the linked stereo pair 1-2 and record. I can understand having to pan one left and one right if I wasn't linking channels or tracks (to create a stereo pair), but what exactly is happening when creating a stereo pair? I had assumed that creating a stereo pair would take care of panning automatically. If that is not the case, I don't see why there would be any reason to ever create a stereo pair in the first place.

Thanks for the response, gecko. I think I probably didn't fully ask my question. Inputs E and F are 1/4 inch balanced inputs, by the way. Anyway, after linking input channels E and F, the next thing I have been doing is linking tracks 1 and 2 to create a stereo pair. Then, I assign the linked channels E-F to the linked stereo pair 1-2 and record. I can understand having to pan one left and one right if I wasn't linking channels or tracks (to create a stereo pair), but what exactly is happening when creating a stereo pair? I had assumed that creating a stereo pair would take care of panning automatically. If that is not the case, I don't see why there would be any reason to ever create a stereo pair in the first place.

Why not just assign E and F to a stereo track (13/14 thru 23/24)? That's what they're there for.

The tracks are automatically panned left and right when you link the channels

Thanks for the replies. I could use stereo tracks 13/14 thru 23/24, but my question would have still been the same as to whether or not you had to manually pan channels. I was able to play around with the recorder some today and, as vgmrmojo stated, the tracks are panned automatically when you create a stereo pair. They are also already panned when using the stereo tracks 13/14 thru 23/24. I don't use that many tracks on the recorder because I do all of my music with the Kronos sequencer and then record that to a single pair of stereo tracks. Then I use a few tracks for vocals. I like to have all my tracks side by side just out of personal preference. That's the only reason I don't use tracks 13/14 thru 23/24. I appreciate all of the help.

Back