Recording issue - interface or guitar?

cpt howdy

Hi there,

I bought a Peavey Xport (Dec 14) and up until now it has been the best money that I've ever spent on a guitar related product. I use it to record directly into mixcraft 6 and have had a lot of success with the product and its interaction with the DAW. Until now...!

I was recording a few parts into mixcraft, when - how British of me - I went to make a cup of tea. I left my guitar leaning against a chair and upon my return there was NO OUTPUT AUDIO! Absolutely none. Nada. I removed the instrument lead and the DAW registered the expected noise, however the minute I plugged it into the guitar (Epiphone Sheraton) it went completely dead. I changed the lead - same effect. I presumed the issue must be related to my guitar wiring - probably output jack related - and went to bed.

The following day, I painstakingly removed the output jack (it's a hollow bodied guitar) and examined it and there was no damage. Perplexed, I went and plugged it in to an amplifier AND IT WORKED PERFECTLY!?! Assuming the problem to be an intermittent bug I plugged it back in to my guitar, but sure enough, completely dead...

OK, I thought, let's try another instrument with the same leads and same xport interface. I plugged in my drum machine. Works perfectly!

So - what's occurring? My guitar works fine through an amplifier, but goes dead through the xport. My drum machine works fine through the xport with the exact set up... All the leads etc are fine and have been verified... the only clue that I've got is that the audio goes completely dead when I plug it in to the guitar which 'may' suggest that something is short circuiting in the guitar wiring - but only when it goes through the interface as it's perfect through an amplifier....

All in all I'm very perplexed -

Please help!

Are you using the same cable to plug the drum machine into the Xport as you used with the guitar? Some 1/4" plugs are just a little 'off' - a little too long or short (at the limit of mfr tolerances) and will sometimes work wiht a littl ejiggling - moving them out of the plug a little so they don't click in for example.

It's a long shot, but maybe sounds like your USB port went to sleep.

Google "Turning off USB sleep mode"

Guitar works through an amp = guitar is fine. Drum machine works through your Xport. Guitar does not work through your export. The Xport seems to be handling the line-level signal from the drum machine but not the instrument level signal from your guitar. I'm not familiar with the Xport. Is there an option to select between line level and high impedence input signals? Is it set properly?

Back