Recording interfaces vs. soundcards

rxQueen

which is better and why?

I'm looking at the Presonus Firepod and Firebox and right now, and I was wondering if I can just go an internal sound card route?

what are the pros and cons for each and which do you prefer?

thanks

If you're asking firewire v pci then the winners would be

Cost: pci cards are cheaper per channel
Portability:firewire. plug it into your desktop, then unplug it and take it to the jam with your laptop
Longevity: pci as a standard is on the way out. Most new audio interfaces are firewire
Features: firewire interfaces typically have more preamps (firepod, 400f). With a pci card you generally need preamps or a mixer as well. There's lots of combo control surface/interface products out there now (Project Mix, Tascam units) that are exclusively firewire

rxQueen said:
anyone else?

Pretty much sums it up. I usually use the words "PCI" and "dead" in the same sentence. As a general rule, if you can get a PCI interface for $100 or less, it's not too bad a deal, as you'll probably outgrow it before it ends up being a doorstop (unless you use Macs, in which case a PCI interface will be a doorstop the next one you buy). For anything more expensive, FireWire is really the only good way to go.

As an added bonus, external interfaces are better at noise rejection than PCI interfaces, with the exception of those with the converters outboard in a breakout box. (Most low-end PCI interfaces have the converters on the card.)

The only real advantage to PCI these days is cost. Even that is only an advantage if you plan to replace the interface in three or four years. Otherwise, the long-term costs of keeping a PCI interface running as the commodity motherboards gradually phase out PCI in favor of the non-backwards-compatible PCI Express (PCIe) standard will eventually end up being higher than biting the bullet and buying a FireWire interface up front, IMHO.

dgatwood said:
Pretty much sums it up. I usually use the words "PCI" and "dead" in the same sentence. As a general rule, if you can get a PCI interface for $100 or less, it's not too bad a deal, as you'll probably outgrow it before it ends up being a doorstop (unless you use Macs, in which case a PCI interface will be a doorstop the next one you buy). For anything more expensive, FireWire is really the only good way to go.

As an added bonus, external interfaces are better at noise rejection than PCI interfaces, with the exception of those with the converters outboard in a breakout box. (Most low-end PCI interfaces have the converters on the card.)

The only real advantage to PCI these days is cost. Even that is only an advantage if you plan to replace the interface in three or four years. Otherwise, the long-term costs of keeping a PCI interface running as the commodity motherboards gradually phase out PCI in favor of the non-backwards-compatible PCI Express (PCIe) standard will eventually end up being higher than biting the bullet and buying a FireWire interface up front, IMHO.
PCI "legacy" slots will be provided on motherboards for some time to come, alongside PCIe slots. The truth about PCIe is that none of the soundcard manufacturers are gung-ho to develop product until controller chip development for audio apps is in place. They are resigned to the fact that they will someday have to adopt this standard, but in no hurry. Why should they be when the FireWire product is selling?

PCI still offers the greatest bandwidth of the various current standards (notwithstanding PCIe). FireWire is efficient and offers sufficient bandwidth for most users, but it is essentially communicating over the PCI buss when all is said and done, so it is not quite as efficient as PCI cards. And some FireWire controller chips can be problematical.

To try and wait for the technology that will never be obsoleted an exercise in futility. Get the best thing today and use it.

Back