Recording interface - $800 or less

I’m in the market for a new interface, and would like some suggestions. I have a PC, USB connection, and use Cakewalk Sonar.

I’m looking for a device that has at least two mic inputs, and two quarter-inch inputs – in short, something I could record four parts at a time. I don’t need any more inputs.

The most I’d be willing to spend is probably $800 or so.

I’m reading good things about the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, but I own an AudioBox and a FireBox (both by PreSonus), and have a feeling the Scarlet is no better. What would you recommend that is higher end with better preamps?

I’ve read good things about the RME Babyface, which retails for around $750, and the SPL Creon, which retails for around $600. The Creon is essentially a version of the SPL Crimson with fewer features. The Crimson’s added features generally don’t interest me, though one drawback of the Creon is that there’s no MIDI connection! Though annoying, I suppose I could use one of my PreSonus interfaces when that need arises. The Crimson preamps get high ratings – I believe the Creon has the same ones.

What other interfaces at this general price point would you recommend I check out?

All answers welcome, Thanks.

I’m in the market for a new interface

Based on your input needs I think one of the following would be a great choice, and you would keep $500 or more in your pocket.

PreSonus AudioBox 44VSL
Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Personally I am partial to the PreSonus. Questions about 'Higher end' / 'better preamps' are endlessly subjective, could go on forever. You should be able to get great recordings with what you already have. Don't chase the microphone unicorn with the savings - buy a used SM58.

Chuck

You may well be right... I've read good things about the Scarlet 6i6. It's also popular, and easily available. Is there any substantial difference in an interface that costs 300-400 more? I must admit I don't need a lot of frills. Does spending more money on an interface make any difference in sound quality?

Does spending more money on an interface make any difference in sound quality?

That is the million dollar question. Will spending more money on an interface, pre or microphone make any *MEANINGFUL* difference in sound quality? In my experience as a home recordist the answer is no.

I'm kind of in the same bag, I mean, I've had a Rode NT1 condenser for years and have been perfectly satisfied. I also like Seagull guitars. Sure there are some high end Martins or Gibsons that may sound as good or better depending on taste, but I'd like to get something that sounds good at any price. I'd like to get something that I won't outgrow, if possible. This idea applies to all my gear.

Overall, interfaces I am less knowledgeable about, but if I can find a "Seagull of interfaces," that would be perfectly fine. As an example, I guess the difference between an NT1 and radioshack mic are more objective, but the difference between an NT1 and a higher cost mic are more subjective.

Does spending more money on an interface make any difference in sound quality?

There are two basic components to an interface; the analog sections and the digital converters. Most of the time, from mid-level on down to the junk, the converters are pretty much the same across all interfaces. The manufacturers buy from the same few sources; TI's, Burr-Browns, AD's; and those converters are close to each other in performance and quality.

That leaves the analog sections; preamps and output amps. Those are designed by the manufacturers and will be the source of differences between interfaces. Really, it's the mic pre's that matter the most. Whose are the cleanest? The less noise? And even with those, the circuits are designed around similar components, so the performance and quality might be similar, but there is room for more variation.

While I wouldn't suggest you buy junk, I think you can lower your budget and get nearly the same quality. Then it is just a matter of what features you need. digital connections, power supply, number of channels, etc.

As a side note, I once had the best of the best (Lavry) and the worst of the worst (Phonic). There is so many other facets that goes into a quality mix that you can't hear the difference between the two until you get everything else squared away first.

If the option were mine, I'd go with the scarlet also. I have the 2i2 and find the pre amps are pretty quiet.

I'm considering the 6i6 most strongly at this point, and have two questions.

1. Does the fact that I use a microphone for 80% of my recording change your opinion? I record everything with a mic except for bass, and sometimes keyboards.

2. Is there anyone out there who has used any of the Focusrite Scarlets (not just the 6i6) and has also used any other interface in the next price region? If there is someone who has done this, did you notice any meaningful difference in the preamps? Was the difference in price more due to "looks," "name" or "frills" than differences in sound quality?

1. I do not think it matters. That's an opinion.

2. I currently have the scarlet 2i2, Tascam US-800 and the UAD Apollo. I have not really run any side by side comparisons, but I do have some songs where I tracked using the scarlet and the Apollo. I never noticed a difference, but I wasn't going out of my way to look for a difference. I don't fret over interfaces. I pay more attention to mics, my room, monitors, and plug-ins. But that's just me.

1. I do not think it matters. That's an opinion.

2. I currently have the scarlet 2i2, Tascam US-800 and the UAD Apollo. I have not really run any side by side comparisons, but I do have some songs where I tracked using the scarlet and the Apollo. I never noticed a difference, but I wasn't going out of my way to look for a difference. I don't fret over interfaces. I pay more attention to mics, my room, monitors, and plug-ins. But that's just me.

Hypothetical question: sorry if this digresses too much from the OP. Lets say I'm running both a UA 6176 and a Avalon 2022 for a total of 3 channels, would it work well with the Tascam US-800 as an interface, or is there an interface more suitable for this set up? I think the Tascam has eight channels, but do I need specifically 3 "Line in" inputs or will any of the channel inputs work, and can I bypass the Tascam preamps and just use it as a converter? And lastly will the Tascam be adding any unintended "color" to the signal?

Thanks in advance!

Hypothetical question: sorry if this digresses too much from the OP. Lets say I'm running both a UA 6176 and a Avalon 2022 for a total of 3 channels, would it work well with the Tascam US-800 as an interface, or is there an interface more suitable for this set up? I think the Tascam has eight channels, but do I need specifically 3 "Line in" inputs or will any of the channel inputs work, and can I bypass the Tascam preamps and just use it as a converter? And lastly will the Tascam be adding any unintended "color" to the signal?

Thanks in advance!

The US800 was discontinued, has 6 input channels, but no actual 'line-in' inputs that bypass the preamps - using 1/4" plugs (I think) just puts a pad on the preamp, because they are all combo inputs.
What's your budget? MOTU UltraLite-mk3 - $550 I think anything under this price range uses combo inputs,and not sure any of them offer true bypass of the preamps.

The US800 was discontinued, has 6 input channels, but no actual 'line-in' inputs that bypass the preamps - using 1/4" plugs (I think) just puts a pad on the preamp, because they are all combo inputs.
What's your budget? MOTU UltraLite-mk3 - $550 I think anything under this price range uses combo inputs,and not sure any of them offer true bypass of the preamps.

On the 1800, I think the channels 9 and 10 use the pre-amp, 11-14 are bypassed (I assume this since there is nothing other than a pad switch to adjust). Would the lack of gain control determine if the pre-amps are bypassed?

Until you break the $1500 mark (well, 1350 for the Apogee Quartet), there's not much difference in preamps. Even then, I'm not sure (in home recording) that it would make THAT big a difference to jump that high. Your question about "color" comes into play here, as the idea of "boutique" preamps is the "color" they tend to add. This is something best left for a separate piece of gear, not the interface. Best to focus on what makes a good "home" audio interface. 1) Stability of the company and it's drivers and 2) Latency issues. Whittle down the contenders by the number of ins and outs you will need and your need for digital i/o and midi...
Sticking with Steinberg, Tascam, MOTU, Focusrite, Presonus (and don't skip over the NI KA6), will probably be your best bet.

BTW, the SPL units do indeed get great reviews. Another that got great review, but is becoming rare to find was the Tascam UH700...great preamps 192/24 Burr-Brown converters, all the good stuff and ran about $400...

Thanks MJB- yeah I just saw a youtube review of the MOTU and it seems to be the answer to my question.

Your question about "color" comes into play here, as the idea of "boutique" preamps is the "color" they tend to add. This is something best left for a separate piece of gear, not the interface.

Thanks Broken- yes, that is what I meant. I'm searching for an interface that won't add anymore color than what the external Pre is giving me.
So far I've found that the MOTU or RME may be the interface that will give me the most transparent signal.

Back