recording input volume?

gframe

ok i see that for your xlr inputs on a interface you adjust the dedicated volume knobs to each input ie tascam us 1800 Product: US-1800 | TASCAM 1-8 thats cool but i plan to use a jack to xlr female adapter to connect other xlr cables for the other inputs 11-14(at the back of the unit) but how do i control the input recording volume?!?!?!?! so i dont clip out and whatnot does this make sense please help

A volume meter can tell if the audio is clipping.
Try to play around for a bit while watching the volume meter and adjust if needed.

You can also try to add a compressor to the chain "before" it's recorded.

Inputs 11-14 are line level inputs. In other words, some type of preamp has to be used to feed them at line level. A mixer or any preamp will work.

Jimmy

Inputs 11-14 are line level inputs. In other words, some type of preamp has to be used to feed them at line level. A mixer or any preamp will work.

Jimmy

i bow down to our greater knowledge so stop me where im wrong please! An interface automatically converts analog into digital right but a mixer does not right? so if i run xlr cables through the mixer that then goes into the interface will it still convert?!?!?!?!?!
thanks

Yep, all analog signal inputs are converted to digital in the interface and sent via usb to the computer. Digital signal coming from the computer is then converted to analog in the interface and sent via outputs on the Tascam. There are usb mixers that have converters, but for this instance an analog mixer/preamp is needed to amplify the microphone signal to a level that can be converted. A mic on its own is not enough signal. It needs to be amplified. Same with a guitar.

Some hardware with digital outs would be needed to make use of input 15&16 on the Tascam.

Yep, all analog signal inputs are converted to digital in the interface and sent via usb to the computer. Digital signal coming from the computer is then converted to analog in the interface and sent via outputs on the Tascam. There are usb mixers that have converters, but for this instance an analog mixer/preamp is needed to amplify the microphone signal to a level that can be converted. A mic on its own is not enough signal. It needs to be amplified. Same with a guitar.

Some hardware with digital outs would be needed to make use of input 15&16 on the Tascam.

hows about this? BEHRINGER: 1202

That unit will get you two discreet outputs into your interface. L and R. The fx send is post fader so that cant be used as its own separate output. I would recommend finding a couple cheap ART Dual MP preamps. I have one I found on CL for $30. One unit would give you two channels. There are many other preamps in this cheap range if you are just looking to run the other channels of your interface. They are not that special for enhancing tone but will serve this purpose on the cheap.

Basically anything with an input jack, a gain knob, and an output jack will work. :)

That unit will get you two discreet outputs into your interface. L and R. The fx send is post fader so that cant be used as its own separate output. I would recommend finding a couple cheap ART Dual MP preamps. I have one I found on CL for $30. One unit would give you two channels. There are many other preamps in this cheap range if you are just looking to run the other channels of your interface. They are not that special for enhancing tone but will serve this purpose on the cheap.

Basically anything with an input jack, a gain knob, and an output jack will work. :)

thanks bro

Btw, a ART DPS II has digital outputs that you can use for inputs 15 and 16. It's $199 new. I'm sure you could find a used one for $100 or less allowing you to fully use your interfaces inputs.

Naw, that's an interface. Cant use another one together with the Tascam you have. You want an analog preamp. The DPS I mentioned just happens to have digital outs.

Naw, that's an interface. Cant use another one together with the Tascam you have. You want an analog preamp. The DPS I mentioned just happens to have digital outs.
you know what it was only the offcial site that didnt even read myself that said it was an interface! shit.
im gonna keep looking, thanks once again for helping

That will work. Behringer has something very similar as well. Basically the same but a little cheaper. You won't really be looking for good tone with these. Just giving your signal the gain needed to record from more inputs on the Tascam. Have fun! :)

That will work. Behringer has something very similar as well. Basically the same but a little cheaper. You won't really be looking for good tone with these. Just giving your signal the gain needed to record from more inputs on the Tascam. Have fun! :)

thanks for your help once again no dount i'll be driving you mad again soon about something or other !!!!

No problem man. I just finished this with 1641, Two of those ART preamps (Dual MP is just two of those little guys in a rack), in Cubase.

Back