Recording in stereo - microphone volume difference

yamsaretasty

Hi guys

This is probably the stupidest question you'll hear, but I am recording piano with 2 very different mics, and one is much much louder than the other. I am recording into cubase 5, and getting a stereo image with 90% of the sound coming out one speaker. I'm sure theres an easy way to amplify one of them... but I can't find the answer.

I can't just change the gain on my preamp either, any less or more creates distortion

Thanks

Adjust it in your DAW, of course! Turn down the loud track, and turn up the soft one. You may need to normalize the soft one.

Adjust it in your DAW, of course! Turn down the loud track, and turn up the soft one. You may need to normalize the soft one.
This is exactly what I did on some tracks that I was recording 12 string guitar on. I was after a variation on the 'record it in stereo with one mic at the neck, the other towards the body etc' scene. So I thought I'd try DI and dynamic {or maybe it was a condenser, I can't recall right now}. Well, the jackplugged track is somewhat louder than the miked track. Because both are recorded simultaneously, panning them either opposite or some variation {80/20, 60/40, whatever} of that, the DI one has to be turned down a bit and the miked one up a bit. Sounds nice. Logical, too.
yamsaretasty
Yes, yes they are. Especially fried like chips.

Normally, for stereo, you would want to adjust the mic preamps so that both were being recorded about the same volume.

If you are using a stereo track, It makes it rough to adjust one side or the other. It's usually much easier to use two mono tracks panned away from each other. That way you can adjust the levels independently from each other.

Back