Recording in an untreated room

You don't say very much about what instruments you are trying to record. Here's a thought about recording in a room leaking outside sounds. Go to a carpet store and get a large piece of thick carpet. (not industrial, the thicker the better.) The size should be about 6' x 12' Now also get some moving blankets. The carpet will allow you to roll it into a tube you can stand in and record vocals. You can also throw it over a guitar amp For drums, I would close mic and your overhead down close to the drums just in front of your face. The drums should drown out any outside noise. Other wise, use a drum machine or an electronic set with direct lines into the recording device. Record your bass direct too. Put any other instruments inside the vocal set up. That should do it. Good luck,
Rod Norman

Hello there people of HR, I am currently recording in a room that is untreated and whenever I turn up my condenser mics' gain up, they tend to pick up car noises. I am living on the 7th floor ( Its an apartment ) and it seems that I am unable to get rid of the noise, although I have already closed the windows and doors etc. Any advices?

You don't say very much about what instruments you are trying to record. Here's a thought about recording in a room leaking outside sounds. Go to a carpet store and get a large piece of thick carpet. (not industrial, the thicker the better.) The size should be about 6' x 12' Now also get some moving blankets. The carpet will allow you to roll it into a tube you can stand in and record vocals. You can also throw it over a guitar amp For drums, I would close mic and your overhead down close to the drums just in front of your face. The drums should drown out any outside noise. Other wise, use a drum machine or an electronic set with direct lines into the recording device. Record your bass direct too. Put any other instruments inside the vocal set up. That should do it. Good luck,
Rod Norman

Thanks a bunch! I've recently visited my local music store and it appears that people use something named Primacoustic Voxguard. Any info of that?

That's actually a really interesting point and throws up a couple of things. Firstly, are we too obsessive in shooting for perfection ?

Because I have to come up with backing ideas for people, I almost always record rough and ready versions of things to see if they're gonna work.
Then I almost always end up keeping those rough and ready versions because what I originally perceived to be flaws ended up either unheard, or contributing to the mix.

It's by fluke that I've learned this lesson but have picked up a bit of a 'just get on with it' attitude lately.
I ruined too many recordings striving for perfection.

Just one point I want to make DV.... you're talking about a "treated room" but really your concern is outside noise. Treating your room is usually more about getting the inside noise working better. If you have an outside noise issue then you're talking about soundproofing your room to some extent. Different things... :D

It's by fluke that I've learned this lesson but have picked up a bit of a 'just get on with it' attitude lately.

Me too. Signal to noise... I used to be far more worried about what was going on outside than I am today...

You don't say very much about what instruments you are trying to record.
He says it clearly and pretty definitively
For now, the violin is the only instrument I record. I might be recording guitars soon

I'm kind of grateful that I don't have the ability or patience to strive for perfection. Neither am I interested in slop. My motto is "I'm neither slick nor slack.....".

Back