Recording in a Virtualized Environment?

bigdoggit

I put a post in the noob forum asking if there are any audio interfaces for a server 2003 - can't find any that are supported or anyone that has made one work yet and I can't throw the money away.

So, after no response there (maybe the wrong section of this site?) I decided to ask a different question. What about a virtualized machine? Perhaps I could run a virtualized Windows XP machine. However, in my limited experience the virtualized machine does not have actual access to the real hardware, but rather uses a generic virtualization driver. So, I fear any audio interface will simply not work with a virtualized Windows XP machine. The base OS will still be the Windows 2003 enterprise version (I am using it for studying since I my profession is IT so I can't dump that OS for windows XP - besides, I have 8 GB of ram in the beast).

Any thoughts in or outside the box will be welcomed.

Not a good idea.... you'd just be asking for trouble.

Virtualization is not up to the high data flows needed for recording/playback of audio or video.

that's what I figured

Ya, I had the same sense of virtualization. I am still open to hearing from anyone who may have played with this.

As for two OS's, I could. That would be easy enough. However, I can record one channel at a time right now using a Soundblaster card. I'm not going for anything professional necessarily. If I could make something pro work with Server 2003 or in a virtual machine I'd do it. But honestly, when I want to record I want to record, not restart the computer and whip up XP. I'll just keep using the crappy soundblaster to record my ideas and if I really want to hear them with a pro quality sound, I'll buy studio time.

Keep the ideas coming if anyone thinks of them. Maybe something will sound good to me.

Back