recording in a non-soundproof room

rxQueen

hey guys I want to use my guitar through my amp to record but I dunno how I will do this in my dorm room. is it possible to build a small enclosure to put my amp and mic in to simulate a room?

thanks

I've used a few microphone stands in front of the amp (no mics on them of course) and hung 4 or 5 blankets over the amp and stands, and of course had my amp mic'd. Not total isolation by any means, but it was enough to deaden some ambient room noise and add a bit of "fatness" to the overall sound. Don't know how well it would work for overly distorted guitar, but for clean to semi-clean it's still a tactic that I use.

chessrock said:
If you like the sound of using a real amp, but you also want the ability to record directly without disturbing a dorm full of crazy, drunken students, then you should really check out the Palmer speaker simulator:

http://www.mercenary.com/pga04addimop.html

dear lord that's expensive :eek:

I've been using the V-Amp 2 this whole time and want to switch to mics, that's all. I hate the tone I get from my V-Amp 2 so I was thinking about getting a cardboard or plywood box and making a small recording "box" out of it.

I'd record with a DI, clean signal and low-volumed amp signal (for monitoring) send the "clean" .wav file and a few bucks to someone who can re-amp the clean signal through a sweet amp for ya :p

You can also build portable gobo's for pretty cheap, if you have $50 or $60 to play with you can build them out of rigid fiberglass and plywood. You can probably even build them for less if you can find the fiberglass locally and snag some scrap plywood from a construction site. Check out the accoustics forum, Ethan and some others have great plans for these.
Scott

Here are some pics of my isolation box i stated in my previous post
url]

url]

What type of amp are you using? I miked my cab back in the college dorm days. We recorded a pretty good sounding 4 song demo for our college band using one of the first Foxtex digital multitrackers. This thing had enough memory for about 1.5 songs when all 8 tracks were used. With a good amp and mic, acceptable results can be obtained in dorm room. Just don't crank that 150 watt stack up to 10 at 8 AM.

SuicideNote said:
What type of amp are you using? I miked my cab back in the college dorm days. We recorded a pretty good sounding 4 song demo for our college band using one of the first Foxtex digital multitrackers. This thing had enough memory for about 1.5 songs when all 8 tracks were used. With a good amp and mic, acceptable results can be obtained in dorm room. Just don't crank that 150 watt stack up to 10 at 8 AM.

it's a peavey bandit II...

Back