Recording help

dfraz

Hey, I've got a Dell E310 PC, and a Yamaha MG102c mixer.
When I plug into the mixer on one cord and pan it the the center, it seems to work. However, when I record to the PC, it only records on the left channel.
This is very annoying especially with me being a drummer and want some drums and cymbals on different sides of the ear.

Can someone help me solve this issue?
Thanks!

It's not the software. When I listen to what's being recorded, it's on the left channel only, also.
Thanks for the reply.

A little more information please

1. what are you plugging into your mixer, (is it a stereo feed, or a mono feed)

2. do you have a sound card, or are you using the onboard sound. If so are you plugging into line in or microphone

3. what are you plugging it out of (are you going form main out, aux send, rec out etc.)

4. what software are you using (I know that you don't think this is the issue, but different software has different ways of handling audio data)

Sounds like you are recording a mono input to a stereo track.
You need to set the input selction in Music Studio to a mono input. That way you will get the same mono signal out of both speakers.
If you record 1 channel to a stereo track you only get 1 side of a stereo playback. Stereo recording requires 2 signals (2 mics) to be recorded at the same time. 1 for the left channel, 1 for the right channel

Well, here's the thing.
I own a Zoom G9.2tt pedal (I mentioned drums eariler, but now for the guitar) and there are two outputs. Left/Mono and Right.
I plug my cable into the Left/Mono input, and put the other end into the input of my mixer. Now I plug the other cable into the Right input of the pedal, to another input of the mixer.
I take the left input of the mixer and pan that to the left. Then I pan the right input of the mixer to the right.
Now when I hear me out of the mixer, it comes out of both sides. When I record to the PC, it's only on one side.

So in steps to make it easy.
1. Left input from pedal goes to input on mixer
2. Right input from pedal goes to another input on mixer
3. Left input gets panned left, right input gets panned right
4. I have a cable to go from the mixer's Stereo Out Left input, to the computer's line in.

See, there are L and R inputs on the mixer and I'm only using the left. Since I have no where for the right one to go. So I'm kind of lost there.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Well, here's the thing.
I own a Zoom G9.2tt pedal (I mentioned drums eariler, but now for the guitar) and there are two outputs. Left/Mono and Right.
I plug my cable into the Left/Mono input, and put the other end into the input of my mixer. Now I plug the other cable into the Right input of the pedal, to another input of the mixer.
I take the left input of the mixer and pan that to the left. Then I pan the right input of the mixer to the right.
Now when I hear me out of the mixer, it comes out of both sides. When I record to the PC, it's only on one side.

So in steps to make it easy.
1. Left input from pedal goes to input on mixer
2. Right input from pedal goes to another input on mixer
3. Left input gets panned left, right input gets panned right
4. I have a cable to go from the mixer's Stereo Out Left input, to the computer's line in.

See, there are L and R inputs on the mixer and I'm only using the left. Since I have no where for the right one to go. So I'm kind of lost there.

So you have a left channel and right channel going into the mixer but you are only taking the left channel out from the mixer and recording it to a stereo track, That is why you are only getting sound out of one speaker

You either need to record a mono track (1 signal) or you need to send both left and right chanels from the mixer to the computer and record to a stereo track to be able to record the left and right signal

or you need to send both left and right chanels from the mixer to the computer and record to a stereo track to be able to record the left and right signal
That's exactly what I want. But the problem is, it's going to the line in which obviosuly I only have one. I don't have room for to inputs on the computer so that's where I'm lost.

Thanks again for the reply.

A cheap option to do that

is http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--BEHUCA202 it won't sound great, but it will probably be better than what you have currently.

Also it is Behringer so it will probably stop working after a few months, but it only costs $30, so it will fill a gap until it breaks. And you might even get lucky, about 1 in 4 Behringer products sound good and don't break quickly, so you never know your luck.

That will allow you to record both channels out of your mixer.

I'll just convert it to stereo like Bristol said. I'm looking for something right now that's already expensive enough. So I can't afford to get that right now.

Thanks guys!

This is the problem, the line input on most computer soundcards is stereo, you need to get a STEREO 1/8" (3.5mm ?) male to two seperate L/R female 1/4" phone plugs adaptor, then you would use two cables connecting BOTH the left and the right outputs from your mixer to feed the computer's line input in stereo.

This would be the ticket!

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....eo-18-Male-to-2-Female-14-YAdapter?sku=330059

If you can find the same thing made by pretty much any other company, it would be cheaper!!!

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
Where do I plug in those to cords that you just listed me?

*Also I'm not sure whether you know or not, but I'm using cables for my guitar, not a mic
Thanks.

Can you explain that a little easier? Thanks. :)

Sure, the little end goes into the line input on your computer, the other end has two seperate 1/4 inch jacks, you plug the left output from your mixer into one of them, and you plug the right output from your mixer into the other one, that gets both sides of your stereo mixer into your computer's soundcard.

Oh, I see now.
Is this correct:
1. Have 2 normal guitar input cables to go to the outputs of the mixer
2. Plug the two cables into the other two cables (Which is the product you linked me)
3. Plug that last little cable into the line in of omputer
4. Now I have stereo

Correct?

Thanks a lot for the response. I'll probably buy this later this week.

The reason I mainly need stereo is because for 1, I can pan cymbals and drums to the left or right side instead of keeping it mono.
And secondly, I have a g9.2tt guitar effects pedal that has delays where it will go to the left side, and then to the right. If I don't have stereo, it will all be on the same side which will cause it to be messy and not good at all.

But anyways, Thanks a lot!

Back