Recording headphones - how do I chose?

chaaaaaa

I need a good set of recording headphones. I do 99 per cent of my recording in Acid Pro 2.0.
I have a medium budget.
I work with a lot of electronic beats, but also some electric guitar. Are specific headphones I should be looking for?
What do you people suggest?

Thanks for your time!

What's a medium budget?

I have AKG KD 240 F's or something like that, they are specificaly studio monitor headphones with diffused fields etc. They are designed for hours of use (comfort wise) and have no leakage that I am aware of. if you use headphones a lot I would recommend these, paying a descent amount will save you money in the long run and will pay themselves off in their own way. Do a search on headphones and you will find previous posts I have added too, started and many others besides. Search all forums over a long period back.

headphones

I use a pair of AKG K 270 studio phones. I paid 229.00 for mine, I think. I did the A/B with the next lowest-priced AKGs, (I think they were the the 240s), and the difference was astounding. The 270s have 2 drivers per side. They are very balanced, and they are comfy, w/ no leakage. But, they also cost about 120.00 more than the 240s. I don't know what else there is at that 100.00 pricepoint, but I'd look around a little. The 240s are probably a decent deal for the money.

If $200 isn't medium budget to you, then you can get a great pair of Sony's for around $90. MDR-750x Several models that start with MDR-750 in that price range. I don't think you'd go wrong with anything that's been mentioned thus far though.

Sony MDR7506 are the headphones you want to get.
Click on the search function in the upper right corner and type in "Sony MDR7506".... they're highly recomended and are very reasonably priced at $99.00 USC.

My studio has 4 sets of them.

I agree with Buck62, the MDR-7506's are the BEST friggin' headphones ever. Here's why:

• The SOUND itself. Great headphones for a super-realistic representation of your recordings. They'll shake your head with 5Hz rumble (for "hooptie" music), and clear 20 kHz with ease (for "screw my dog up" music). Yes, the other "big dogs" have the same range, but there are other considerations that make the MDR-7506's better then them...
  • The COMFORT of these headphones is amazing. You won't have your ears "folded", they aren't going to slide off your head (really, you can just mangle these suckers into whatever tension you like), and they're JUST heavy enough to know they're on (unlike those cheapies you'll find) while not being a real pain. While they clear your ear in their earspace, you won't look like Mickey Mouse. And that may not seem important, but if you ever turn your head close to a mic when recording... ugh. Yet another THUD to edit...
  • The CORD is coiled. I can't believe how many "studio grade" headphones have straight cords. It's an accident waiting to happen, a short in the works. The cord stands up to abuse (like stepping on it repeatedly, although I don't recommend it), and is thick enough to keep it from doing that "kink" thing that thin cords always do. The cord tip is actually a 1/8" phono, but includes a screw-on 1/4" adapter that won't unscrew easily (which is GOOD). And if you ever go on a roadtrip, it's nice to know you've got the cans to go with your walkman.
  • The SEAL between the ear and the cans themselves is AWESOME. Very good at killing the sound coming in, and more importantly, getting out. Plus, they're EXCEPTIONALLY comfortable.
  • They're BLACK. No neons, no two-tone crap paint jobs. And you'll find small red and blue left-right indicators on each can, very handy (cord ends up on the left can when you wear them correctly). This point may be more "me" than anyone else, but I HATE ugly shit. The MDR's are definitely not ugly.
  • They're STANDARDS. If you ever choose to head to a "real" studio, they'll have some of these laying around somewhere, if not in the studio itself. You'll always be able to ask for MDR-7506's and feel comfortable while you perform.

Heck, the more I type the more I want another pair. Tell you what, chaaa, you order some of these, and if you don't like them, I'll buy them off of you for $110. No shit.

You will LOVE these headphones.

Thanks

Hey everyone. Thanks very very much for your help. Now I know something about recording headphones instead of nothing.

Thanks Kelly Holdridge for the huge write-up. I thought you were an employee of Sony or some shit, but your write-up really helped and I'm gonna look into the MDR-7506's.

Yo CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:

You puts de kans on de hears, un listen klozly mahn; den you decide witch kans do de zound bedder dan de odder kans.

Beyer 250's == bery good zet of kans.

Ewe kan spend mor dinero; pero, dat's up to de hears.

De Hispanic Green Hornet
Bueno Amigos

uhm, I didn't take any offense to that, Mr. Bulverdito, but where did I lie? I was serious, they're the way to go, this dude's lookin' for cans and there's no reason not to get 7506's instead of anything else.

Why do you recommend the Beyer's, btw?

Go down to your local music store and audition some of the above mentioned. Just as nearfields are a tool, so are your cans. Hopefully you're tracking and not trying to mix with the phones. What you want to monitor and how it translates to tape or HD IS the important point. That is sonic info you will be using to mixdown. You don't want it colored (ie EQed) by the headphones. What you hear on the cans, tracking, is what you want on tape or HD to mixdown with - FLAT. Trust your ears not everyone else's opinions. For example: I personally love the sound on the Sony's, but I can't track with them because there is too much bottom FOR ME! Just as I love to listen to my music thru my Phase Technology speakers BUT CANNOT MIX AND USE THEM AS NEARFIELDS! TOOLS, cans are tools when recording/tracking. When you kick back and enjoy your music you may want a different set of headphones, I know I do. Happy hunting and may the force be with you in your hunt!

De Ears, Mahn, De Ears

Ola Senor Kelly H:]

No real lies being told. I was punning on the photo of de gato con largos EARS and, of course, Pinocchio con un muy largo nariz porque no tella de truth.

Que es Bulverdito: [little ? Bool?]

I hate it when my limited Spanish and very limited Italian clash.

Always enjoy reading your comments KH.

Verde Buzzito

Green Hornet
PS: I like the Beyer cans because they are CLEAR. With practice, one can almost mix with them on de ears. They are also German engineered and I've found most German engineered gear to be very good, if not superior. They do have a bit of a tight spring on them; but, that gets me up for another beer quicker. The Beyers are certainly not the best in the world; but, for the cash vs. the quality, I'll take them. Kind of like the Yorkville YSM-1 monitors; I heard about them on this site and bought a pair -- they are excellent for the money.
GH

Nothing beats the 7506's for the money....... nothing.

The term "German-engineered" are just buzz-words used by German automakers (BMW) to sell cars. I've never heard that term applied to German-made electronics.

The MDR-7506's are probably the 2nd best value in recording equipment, right behind the trusty Shure SM57.

They are simply a superior product that would still be a great value if you doubled their low $99 pricetag.

Headphones? - well I did a search on this BSS and a few others for my own info.

here are my notes.

AKG K240's

Sennheiser HD 565's

Beyerdynamic DT 770's

Sony MDR V900's

Beyerdynamic DT 770s

Beyer DT150 and the DT250
The 250s are flatter (more medium, the vocal comes through well) and the 150s have more bottom end (bass, kick) for those who prefer it that way.

AKGs are pretty accurate (240s, for example),

Grado 225s

I always use AKG240s

Sony 7506

Beyer DT150 and DT250

AKG 501

I'm using AKG K500's

cheers
John

maybe not a 9mm, but...

Well, mine took a beating from me throwing them hard as I could into the wall... then stomping them once or twice for good measure. You know, they were making me mess up on a guitar part for about the 50th straight take, so they had to feel the pain. :D

Anyway, a little superglue and 2 years later they are still going strong. And I don't need the "A good craftsman... blah blah blah" speech. I learned my lesson shortly after then when I slammed a Strat into the ground and it didn't recover so well. :o

YO BUCK 62:

[I still miss those great Chicago restaurants like the Como Inn, Augustino's, and many others.]

Hee Hee Hee:

I just took a count of my cans and whaddaya know? I've got a pair of Sony 7506 cans hanging where they all hang. So, I still use the Beyer but will activate the Sony cans to let you know I'm a equal opportunity employer.

Enjoy the sunshine,
Green Hornet

Back