Recording hand percussion

I've always found distance (and a good room of course) is the key to hand percussion. You can get away with a slow dynamic (SM7b, RE20, PR40, etc.) a couple feet away from shakers and rain sticks, maracas, etc. I want to be just about across the room with a pair of condensers for resonant transients like cowbell and woodblocks, concert bells, etc. For ultra-transients like tambourine and triangle, somewhere in an adjacent zip code.

I've always found distance (and a good room of course) is the key to hand percussion. You can get away with a slow dynamic (SM7b, RE20, PR40, etc.) a couple feet away from shakers and rain sticks, maracas, etc. I want to be just about across the room with a pair of condensers for resonant transients like cowbell and woodblocks, concert bells, etc. For ultra-transients like tambourine and triangle, somewhere in an adjacent zip code.
I had an 'eye opening moment that led to tests in my early days. Basically- finding strings of flat tops (along with some bits of odd sounds if I recall)* while the chain indicated headroom. Upshot was SDCs I tried -Octavia, QTC-1 needed quite some distance to not clip regardless of what the levels indicated. The two likely were different but in the range of some feet here.
*(Think 'put puts that don't belong..)

Back