recording guitar with delay for example

jimi

if im recording a solo with delay on electric guitar do i play it with delay while im recording or what ? how do i do this ?> its so confusing to me
please help me abit

You set up a monitor or headphone mix so you can hear the effect without actually tracking it.

You add the delay on mixdown.

how do i do that ? if my guitar is plugged in the delay pedal??
can u walk me through it slowly or just tell me wht i need to do ?

If you're using a pedal, you don't have much choice.

If you have an effects send on your amp, you can use that and take the signal to the recorder pre-send if you have that kind of set-up. You can also use the effects send on your tape deck if it has one though it might be noisy depending on the pedal.

I'm not familiar with your equipment. You are going to have to learn this stuff by experimenting and trying new things. There is no magic formula for learning this stuff. Most of us learn by trial and error. Just don't give up. Learning the basics is the hardest part. Once you have that down, it will become easier.

Look around on this BBS by using the search function. There are probably answers to many of your questions.

There is nothing wrong with recording the effects as part of the sound, assuming you are pretty sure that's the sound you are going for.

It's kind of like recording a B-3 organ - no sense bypasssing the leslie and trying to add it back in later, if it is an integral part of the sound.

In general, it's called "committing". Beginners are often scared of commitment... but with a little experience you'll get over it.

I use delay like it is part of the instrument, so I track it.
Experiment - noone is going to die, other than your neighbors maybe... ;)

littledog said:
In general, it's called "committing". Beginners are often scared of commitment... but with a little experience you'll get over it.

Does that work for relationships with females too??:D

Back