Recording Guitar into a closet?

TylerW

Hello, I am planning on recording my band soon and wanted some tips on how to make it sound the best it can. I am planning on treating my room sooner or later, but I was wondering where I should point by amplifier. I have a closet with tons of clothes in it, should I point my amp towards that so that it has less reflections coming back towards the microphone or should I just let her rip right in the middle of the room? Let me know what you guys think and give me any suggestions.

P.S. Another question I have is electrical interference. I have my computer kind of close to where I use the microphones, does the computer create unwanted interference in the microphones or anything?

Thanks

Try both...see what sounds better for you.

Yes...computers can induce all kinds of noise into audio gear...check your distances/positions.

Mic placement depends on the amp / mic and sound you want. Generally speaking start with the mike pointed just off the speaker center about 4" - 6" away and move it towards the outside of the speaker for brightness. You can find heaps of diagrams online.
Depending on your setup you shouldn't get RF noise from the PC but you may get unwanted FAN noise (depending on how loud your guitar is)!
Good Luck!

It's about time that your amplifier comes out of the closet!!!! :D

Go with what Miro has suggested. But if your close micing your amp it shouldn't matter all that much.

Well I won't get fan noise because I'm using a Macbook Pro which doesn't make much fan noise. As for interferance, I'd say my computer is about 5-10 feet from the microphones when I record drums. What I think I'll try is moving the laptop for recording and moving it back in when mixing since the room will be treated. Any other suggestions?

A common problem with laptops is the power supply... seem to give loads of noise when they are on the PSU but not when running from batteries. I have no experience with Mac's tho...

Mac are silent with there power supply PC are mostly noisey with their power supply .... I just use a ground lift on my PC laptops.

Back