Recording Fuzz Guitar

jmeager

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to record a guitar part with a big thick fuzz sound. In the room through my amp I can't pick out individual frequencies etc... that really make it sound interesting and defined.

However, when I record it tends to sound to muddy and just to unclear.

I'm using a Blue Baby Bottle, Fender Jaguar (American) and a Deluxe Reverb.

Any ideas?

When it comes to recording distorted guitar, less is more. In other words, turn down the distortion.

Thanks for that - I did notice when we recorded a live jam in a room, consequently with the mic much further away, it sounded a lot better, guess it's the same principle.

Thanks for that - I did notice when we recorded a live jam in a room, consequently with the mic much further away, it sounded a lot better, guess it's the same principle.

That is not the same thing. Mic placement and the gain dial on your amp are two different things. Also another thing is the mic pre level. Those three things plus the room your in are all factors.

good luck.

When setting the levels on your amp get nice and close to it so you can hear what the mic is going to hear and if your not the one playing the guitar plug one ear and put the other right up to the amp, maybe 8 inches away, and move your head around till you find a good spot, put the mic there. This usually keeps the surprises to a minimum once I play back a track I've recorded

Back