Recording from mixer to DAW

Patrickshortall

Hi,

I've currently got a quite basic setup for recording, a behringer 6 track mixer fed into an irig hd. This is fine for basic recording and if I'm just recording one track, but I want to be able to edit tracks individually on things like drums. I'm getting a Focusrite Spirit Folio lite and I'm wondering which would be the best way to record using as many of the channels on the mixer as possible. I'm 15 so I can't spend too much on an audio interface but any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Do you actually need a hardware mixer? If you have a computer, a multi-track pre-amp/interface might be better value, as they usually come with free decent software - like Cubase LE or similar. £250 will give you the basics of a decent quality recording system - Tascam 1800 or similar. Frankly, even a fairly simple audio mixer will cost this sort of money, and not offer anywhere near the capabilities.

Do you actually need a hardware mixer? If you have a computer, a multi-track pre-amp/interface might be better value, as they usually come with free decent software - like Cubase LE or similar. £250 will give you the basics of a decent quality recording system - Tascam 1800 or similar. Frankly, even a fairly simple audio mixer will cost this sort of money, and not offer anywhere near the capabilities.

Yes, I need mixer as I'll also be using for live situations. What are your opinions on the delta 1010lt, I've been looking at that one but I'm not sure on how it connects to everything.

Well, you've got one idea right - the mixer is for LIVE USE. Doesn't do you any good if you want to record multi tracks individually at one time. You didn't mention which Behr mixer you have, but it probably does not have individual channel outputs, and the preamps are most likely not very good in it anyway.
As Rob said, look at the Tascam US1800 - well under $200 with the current rebate offered. The Delta only has 2 mic preamps and is a PCI card - if you're using an old computer you might have an empty PCI slot, but new computers don't come with them.

Last edited:
Yes, I need mixer as I'll also be using for live situations. What are your opinions on the delta 1010lt, I've been looking at that one but I'm not sure on how it connects to everything.

Ok, so you have to have a mixer. The 1010lt will interface with it because the Folio Lite has inserts and with the correct leads* you will be able to pick off individual channels and record them. I doubt you will have enough "ways back in" to re-mix 8 tracks so you will have to be content with just a stereo monitor feed.

PCI slots? Don't know about actual, store bought computers but there are plenty of current MOBOs about sporting PCI slots. This I type on is an Asus with 3 and barely 6 months old and cost me a nifty. It runs a 6core AMD 3.5G CPU and for my needs hardly breaks a sweat.

*These will need to be TRS jack plugs with tip and ring linked one end and RCA the other. Back from the 1010lt you will need RCA to TS plugs.
Ah! for the full 8 inputs, two leads will be TRS to XLR.
Dave.

Hey,

I've been recording audio in my home studio for some time now. Since 2010. I've been upgrading my equipment ever so often and now I'm at a block. I need your help and so far in research, you're the only person who's been speaking some sense on the internet.

I've got an Audio Technica AT-4040 mic, Behringer X1204USB mixer, M-audio Fast Track Pro. M-Audio AV40's and BX 8a's.

2 days ago I ordered an external preamp/compressor/eq "ART Pro Channel II".

But now I don't know how to connect it. My mixer does not have an insert port. It has the send and return jacks. Plus, the Art Pro Channel back doesnt seem to really give much of a way around it.

My setup is all I've got. I've gotten great audio from it and can't really go shopping for any more expensive stuff. Can you help me connect this new ART Pro to my already configured setup. I've heard the best chain is mic>preamp(in my case, "Behringer x1204")>compressor(Art PRo Channel II)>interface..

What cables do I use? and What's the best way? I need your help. ASAP.
Please

Your ART pro channel is basically an outboard channel, like a pre-amp, you're gonna use it to bypass the preamps of your mixer or interfaces pre-amps. You'll hook your mic into the ART and from there you're go into your interface or mixers line in. It's best to use the line in of your mixer or interface and use the 48v phantom power of the ART if you're using a condenser mic. I'm not familiar with the moxer you're using, but most of the time if something has a send and a return...that is your insert point.

Back