Recording from Grundig TK 40 to my pc

cdiemcarpe04

Hello everyone ,

We found a grundig tk 40 in attic of my great grand mother with many reels where many people of our musician family were recording .
My dad and I would like to save these reels to a pc but we're new to this and didn't have a clue how we can do it

Can someone be kind and explain us what setup we will need and which software

Best regards

The TK40 has a DIN audio connection. You need to get an audio interface ideally, but you might be able to bodge a connection to your PC audio input - usually a green connector socket.There is one thing I cannot check - the sockets on your tape recorder will be either a 3 pin or a 5 pin DIN - You can still get 5 pin DIN to RCA phono connectors - a DIN connector one and and 4 separate RCA style connectors the other end. If you TK40 has, as I suspect 3 pin DIN connectors, then you should use a 3 pin cable but I doubt you will find one. You could buy a plug and solder on the cable yourself, or you could with fine cutters, simply snip off the two pins that will prevent it going in properly. Download and install a software app called audacity - it is free. You need to find an RCA/ Phono connector adaptor which has a 3.5mm plug on the other end so you can put the cable into your computer. Once you have got this installed and set up, put it into record play the tape, and out of the 4 RCA connectors, one will make the meters on the computer move. Adjust the levels to give a level that doesn't go into the red. Once recorded, you can edit, trim and adjust what the computer has inside and save it. This is a lot to take in and learn. The software is quite sophisticated. Easy if you understand it. Hard if you don't.

Thats what you have to do - how much of that makes sense?

Back