Recording from af mixer

Malthe

Hi!
I was thinking if it was possible to record from a mixer with USB output, so it is not an audio-interface. I was think like this behringer: BEHRINGER XENYX X2442 USB - Thomann danske Cyberstore
But does it gives a good sound?
And if it is possible to connect an USB audio-interface to make a better sound? Of course I still want to record in 8 SEPERATE tracks.

Regards Malthe!

Most USB mixers are only going to give 2 separate tracks. Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 is an exception. And not the USB model, the 2.0 one.

What are you looking to record? For the money, you would probably be better suited to one of the Tascam interfaces.

I would say you will want more than 5-6 very soon. I do drums all the time and am very pleased with my Tascam US 1641. 16 input channels with 10 preamps on board. It is discontinued, but the 1800 is it's replacement. Same thing only prettier. At $300, you can spend your balance on more mic's. My 2c.

I am going to record drums, MOSTLY. So around 5-6 inputs at a time.
I have look for the M-audio fast track pre8, and i also got it recommend. But It could be nice, if I could mix and record it as they do here: How To EQ Toms - Drum Lessons - YouTube

There is no reason to eq on the way in while recording unless you are limited to mixing them previous to recording. You have no idea how it works in a mix until you have a mix to deal with. You can, with experience, get it close, but why? Track each drum individually and do it post recording.

Ok, I'm up to 4c now. :D

Alltight thank you!
So what you say is that I should buy an Audio-interface? and then just EQ with my DAW? :)

Then I will do that! :) Thank you!

Which interface would you use, if you need 8 preamp inputs, and it can't cost more than 550 $?

The one I mentioned earlier, Tascam US 1800, has 10 preamps. I am curious if the price if different in Denmark.:confused:

Than you! I will do that!

But which interface would you buy, if you need 8 preamps, and you have about 550 $?

I can tell you it's not ;)
But you would buy the Tascam 1800...
I have look at m-audio fast track ultra 8r, but I don't have any idea on which is the best o_O

Yes I would. The 1641 works perfectly for me and like I said, It's the same as the 1800. Same specs. Just a different look, and power supply is now external.

The Fast Track ultra looks good too. Keep in mind though, even if you use only 8 mic's on a kit, you would have no where else to record scratch tracks or anything. I like that the 1800 has 16 total inputs and I need them regularly. Hell, on some occasions, I could use 17.

Thats correct!
But I only have in mind, to use 7 inputs..
Can you link me a site where I can buy the Tascam 1641 ? Because there is no Danish site o_O

Oh and, the 1641 is discontinued now. You could possibly find one used, though I would not myself purchase a used interface. I would rather have a warranty on a piece of gear that is as important as an interface.

Allright... I didn't try their webpage... :)
But I will think about the 1800...
But I just dont like that the inputs is in the front, but do you have any problems with that?

Back