recording freq poll

what freq are you using

• Total voters
24/96. since all industry standard studio uses this format. Also when Im remixing tracks at 24/96, no audio will be compromised or colored. My system can handle over 30 24/96 tracks.

What i use

192 at 24 for record restoration work. :D

but 96 at 24 for recording. :p

for hacking around 44.1 at 16 :eek:

44.1 because I think when I have gone 48k then down to 44 for cd something is missing and I dont have Appogee converters!( maybe 'cause I cant spell it)

Killah_Trakz said:
I tried to a session in 44k n 48k and it sounded horrible (mention it was pt mpowered) but when i bumped it to 88.2k and just scrapped the whole project and started over in samplitude it was night and day too me and my girl.

You are doing something HORRIBLY wrong. :D

Go get yourself Lyle Lovetts Album Joshua Judges Ruth. Recorded at 16 bit 44.1. I'll bet you $1000 it blows away your 88khz shit.

NL5 said:
You are doing something HORRIBLY wrong. :D

Go get yourself Lyle Lovetts Album Joshua Judges Ruth. Recorded at 16 bit 44.1. I'll bet you $1000 it blows away your 88khz shit.
\
Lyle Lovetts stuff sounds fantastic! Hey, I love a lot of the later Beatles stuff. Of course it is analog, but if it were in digital terms, what sample rate would it be?

jmorris said:
\
Lyle Lovetts stuff sounds fantastic! Hey, I love a lot of the later Beatles stuff. Of course it is analog, but if it were in digital terms, what sample rate would it be?

The sample rate is infinity - in other words CONSTANT.

Killah - I listened to "Be OK!" - WTF is going on with that track? No offense intended, but that sounds awful. It sounds like the whole track was run through Izotope vinyl. Maybe that was the intened effect? Too be honest, rap is not my forte, so maybe I'm just outta touch.

jmorris said:
"The sample rate is infinity - in other words CONSTANT"
You lost me!

The sample rate is how many times per second that the sound is recorded. Analog is constant. There is no "sampling".

I think I had a brain fart. I really think I should be refering to bit depth. Isn't there a relationship with bit depth with analog and digital? Or should I go back to bed. :)

jmorris said:
I think I had a brain fart. I really think I should be refering to bit depth. Isn't there a relationship with bit depth with analog and digital? Or should I go back to bed. :)

I can't answer that quite as easily. Once again, you have an unlimited amount of voltage increments with analog, and you are limited to 64k each way with 24 bit (I think). I do believe though that there is more dynamic range possible with 24 bit digital, than with analog (once again, I could be wrong).

Ha!

man thats olllllllld material man. thats not even my beat lol. I took all my recent stuff down, because of a pending deal. If you need some reference music i can send you some.

I record everything at 24/48, then Master both a DVD-Audio Version and a redbook version.

I like staying close to the source format. Of course if the converters blow..
Teddy

jmorris said:
44.1 because I think when I have gone 48k then down to 44 for cd something is missing and I dont have Appogee converters!( maybe 'cause I cant spell it)

If we could spell we wouldn't be starving musicians lol.

I always track, mix, and master in 24bit 96khz. I can tell the difference through my M-audio converters, my MOTU converters, and Apogee converters. On my Edirol moniters, Alesis moniters, KRK moniters, and Dynaudio moniters.

P.S. >>>>>>>>> http://www.saecollege.de/reference_...rders.htm#sampl

Look for these lines >>> "At a sampling rate of 96kHz you get 9.6 samples of a 10kHz wave and believe me, you can hear it.

In an article by Rupert Neve, I read recently, he said that we should aim for 24bit resolution and 192kHz sampling rate if we want to equal the quality of high quality analogue recording." on quote

Reactions: PDP
44.1khz 24bit.

why bother going up i feel, its not a noticeable difference for me at all. plus, why stress my comp?

storage wont slow you down.
Khz- is the sample rate kinda like frames per second.
I think If you were recording a lot of tracks it would
slow you down. but play back wouldnt make a difference.
while sampling rate affects high frq. response,the number
of bits taken per sample affects dynamic range, noise and distortion
thiers a big difference In 41.1 and 96khz . 44.1 doesnt have the Transparent
response of the higher sampling rates.Transparent sound is a wide , flat
freqency response,a sharp time response, clarity, detail, and very low
noise and distortion.Its like comparing cable to high def cable
night and day.

96/24. It puts the high frequency roll-off brickwall out of the human hearing range. While you still get a secondary brickwall during downsampling, at least it is happening on the whole signal and not on each individual track, and thus, can be easily corrected for with EQ if the loss is objectionable.

Back