Recording/finding different time signatures with a metronome

dumbass

I am going to be recording soon and have little experience with metronomes. I only know how to count basic time signatures of 4, pretty much, and I have some song-parts that are in an unconventional time signature, how do I find which one it is? Is there a site that shows examples of different time signatures or should I just mess around with the metronome until I find what it is? How do I learn how to count?

Tap along to the music while counting. Count how many times you tapped before you felt like saying "one" again. :D

Tap along to the music while counting. Count how many times you tapped before you felt like saying "one" again. :D

That's actually a good suggestion. You may not know the name of the signature in question, but you know how it runs. At the point you need the change, just count/tap in whichever way feels natural. Sometimes, I fall into unusual time signatures. I haven't got a clue what they are. All I know is that they don't feel like 4/4 {they may be for all I know}. I memorize the music so that I'm not caught up in counting.

Another +1 for Rami's suggestion. 90% of the time if you're having trouble with a technical aspect of music performance, the answer is "counting." :D

Back