Recording female vocal trio

Bloomington

I am going to record my cousins female vocal trio and need some tips or advice.

They have some "backup" music on CD that they play behind them when they perform. What they want is to use that as their backing and then record their vocals over that.

I plan on recording the CD onto my Roland 880. Then they can monitor that while they lay down the vovcals onto other empty tracks.

1. Any tips or pitfalls to avoid recording the CD onto the 880?

2. Any tips on mic's/effects etc for the vocals. They sing a lot of 40's and 50's type music - I suppose kind of like the Andrew's sisters (anybod y old enough here to remember them haha)

I have an SM-58, 2 AKG C-1000's and and At-4047.

Would appreciate any tips or advice -

Thanks in advance!!!!!

:Yo Bloomington of the big Stores:]

Hee, hee, hee -- you are going to record THREE WOMEN in your studio; you'll have your hands full trying to set the faders on their conflicting egos.

But, seriously, I run CD background music into my MD8 and then let singers do their thing. I run the CD music right out of the headphone plug on my integrated amp -- no problema doing that.

Give your singers reverb to hear -- it gives a vocalist more oomph or power when they hear the reverb -- don't know your rig but I can use any type of reverb for the singers to hear but it is NOT recorded -- I just add it in when mixing. Or, I'm sure you can also set up reverb to be recorded directly with the vocal take.

Don't bury your vocals in reverb when you mix down or record live reverb or you will get "mud." You'll lose articulation..

As for mics, well that would take 100 forums. Use what you have. Kind of try it out before the talent gets there to record. I find it helpful to have everything cranked up and ready when my talent gets here -- If you're using one mic, you'll have to arrange the talent according to vocal pipes output and this will take you a few tries or many tries to get the best out of what you have.

I've recorded four gals at once. [never again]

If you can wangle a wireless set of cans, or three of them, it will make it easier for the gals -- no wires dangling.

If you have patience, you'll do all right.
Green Hornet

:D :p

Hey Green Hornet THANKS!!!

Yep Bloomington is home of the BIG Stores!! And my real job is keeping me worried about them with the world the way it is - but I need a break and have todo some recording

Thanks for the advice - Yes I am a bit apprehensive about 3 women - will be interesting.

I will run the headphone out thru some reverb then into a headphone amp so each has a pair (of headphones that is).

Thanks again for the help and especially the encouragement!

Female vocals can sometimes be a good musical challange. It was very helpful to know your mic selection. Here is how I would approach this. CD output at line level two track. Not headphone unless you do the proper impedence transfer. Then I would try your 4047 with them in a semicircle. Let your ears decide the body placement around the mic. (2-6feet) If this is not to my liking, I would then have each sing alone (3 tracks). Maybe stack a 4th part using 1st idea. Try a comparison with your 58's. 3 58's 3 singers 3 tracks. It's basic and it works. Lots of singers like the verb thing in their phones. DO NOT PRINT THIS!! when selecting a verb be careful to pick a program that sounds like a belevible space or room.
Have Fun Bloomington
Good luck with all things musical

Thornapple -

Thanks too for the advice -

I plan on recording there CD back up music onto the recorder first then have them overdub their vocals to additional tracks. Got to make sure I set up right to give them some reverb in their headphone mix but dry to the tracks.

Will try a couple of different versions with mic set ups as you suggested!

Thanks again....:)

Back