Recording Equipment in Garage?

eternalmuzik

Hey, i've come accross a problem,... I got a room where i keep my recording equipment and amps and guitars but its getting way too crowded,...So I was thinking about putting it out in the garage because there is nothing in my garage,... I'm not worried about the summer time heat but I was wondering if it could get damaged in the winter,... I live Michigan and the weather is always messed up around here,...

I dont have like big time equipment just a Crate 2x12 amp, behringer mixer, a computer when i do recordings, a 4-track, 3 keybaords, a drum machine, and i got lots of guitars and mic's but im keeping them in the house all the time

so let me knoe if it can get messed up,...

thanks
--Justin

Moisture and extreme temps are bad. Especially big swings in temp. If you will be opening the garage door in the winter it may not be a great idea to keep stuff in there. If you can seal off the garage then it's not so bad

i had a similar question....my stuff is in my basement..

the humidity down there (atlanta) is normally about 50% during the summer...

how is that for mics?

not worried about the other stuff really...the guitars etc. love it. the other electronic stuff is fine..

i know the Mackie monitors are fine to like 70% humidity...

but..the mics?

wes480 said:
i had a similar question....my stuff is in my basement..

the humidity down there (atlanta) is normally about 50% during the summer...

how is that for mics?

not worried about the other stuff really...the guitars etc. love it. the other electronic stuff is fine..

i know the Mackie monitors are fine to like 70% humidity...

but..the mics?

I think you need to be more concerned about the dew point than the relative humidity. Warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, so there is more moisture present at, say, 90 degrees and 50% humidity than at, say 35 degrees and 60% humidity.

You might want to invest in a basement de-humidifier. I've got one and it makes a world of difference.

yeah, its generally about 77 degees, 50% down there.

oh well, the mics are in cases with that silica stuff..should be fine.

Wes: air conditioners act as dehumidifiers - maybe you could get a small unit and control both at the same time.

The really small diaphragm condensers are the most quickly affected by humidity (like the Earthworks). But it is the large wooden acoustic instruments like pianos and basses that really benefit from humidity control.

Justin,

A friend of mine sealed his garage off (he lived in Melvindale at the time) and controlled temps with heaters and dehumidifiers, and he had a ton of studio gear.

Given how often the temperature changes drastically around here, I wouldn't even consider it unless you can seal off and control the temps in your garage.

Back