recording electric guitar-sm57, or rode nt1?

Mr Fruit

I already have a couple of NT1's, but whenever Ive been in professional studio's theyve always used 57's.......

Is it worth the investment?

Im setting up a small home studio, and need to spend my cash wisely as I still need a lot of things, but I will need another couple of mics for for the drums, but thats a way off yet.....

If you could only use one mic, what would you use to record electric guitar with?

If it makes any difference, its a telecaster through a marshall combo, into an analogue desk and 8 track.

different situations call for different sounds,,there is no right answer,,

but..

i have an nt1a and an sm57......and i would definitely be reachin for the 57 first...

i'd try other mics if it doesn't work out,,,,and a couple of time i used the 57 up close, and the nt1a further back,,simultaneously....

Generally speaking, a 57/58 is going to be a good investment...

you're hard pushed to go wrong with them..

yeah...you can't go wrong havin a 57 in the midst. It's my go to mic for distorted electric.

I also agree about puttin a 57 on the grill and the NT1A further back. Experiment around. Ya may like it, ya may not.

yeah...you can't go wrong havin a 57 in the midst. It's my go to mic for distorted electric.

I also agree about puttin a 57 on the grill and the NT1A further back. Experiment around. Ya may like it, ya may not.

Pan them far apart for guitar solos...just use the 57 for rythem parts.

Experimentation burns time in the studio...and engineers have been experimenting for us for over 80 years...its a better idea to just read the books on mic placement.

Pan them far apart for guitar solos...just use the 57 for rythem parts.

Experimentation burns time in the studio...and engineers have been experimenting for us for over 80 years...its a better idea to just read the books on mic placement.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So we shouldn't experiment? Just read the wise words of those who have come before? Look, that's a good starting point, but who knows if that engineer/author had a guitar, or an amp, or a room that sounds like mine?

I love to read. But I love to experiment even more. Then I learn WHY it works (and what else works for that matter) instead of just what someone else says works.

Only when that someone else is highly qualified...like if you wrote a book...Id hesitate to read it...but if you recorded Steely Dan or somebody I would.

Plus you have to work from word of mouth in this buisness...you burn up time experimenting...you risk losing a client that is paying for that time...and you also give them the impression that you have no idea what you are doing...the last thing you need is them spreading that info arround.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

but who knows if that engineer/author had a guitar, or an amp, or a room that sounds like mine?

You should have worked out any room issues before you go into this buisness...but if you have time to do your own thing...that is when you can experiment...but not when someone is in your studio paying you.

Only when that someone else is highly qualified...like if you wrote a book...Id hesitate to read it...but if you recorded Steely Dan or somebody I would.

Plus you have to work from word of mouth in this buisness...you burn up time experimenting...you risk losing a client that is paying for that time...and you also give them the impression that you have no idea what you are doing...the last thing you need is them spreading that info arround.

You should have worked out any room issues before you go into this buisness...but if you have time to do your own thing...that is when you can experiment...but not when someone is in your studio paying you.

What does this mean: "You should have worked out any room issues before you go into this business?" It's a guy just beginning to set up a home studio and he's looking for advice on recording his electric guitar. This is exactly where he needs to work out his "room issues."

The OP is talking about setting up a home studio. And this is HomeRecording.com. And even if he were setting up a commercial studio, he'd still need to learn for himself what works and why. Your stand against experimenting runs counter to the entire learning experience, and is just flat out bad advice.

And learning from the best is not good advice?!?!

When you went to school...were your textbooks written by just anybody...or people that knew stuff?

If his room is bad...there is a forum to help him fix this...but he would have to read wouldnt he....Hmm...how do we even use this place if we cannot read it.:confused:

If he doesnt wish to be an engineer...whats the point of building rooms and equiping them with recording tools?

And learning from the best is not good advice?!?!

When you went to school...were your textbooks written by just anybody...or people that knew stuff?

If his room is bad...there is a forum to help him fix this...but he would have to read wouldnt he....Hmm...how do we even use this place if we cannot read it.:confused:

If he doesnt wish to be an engineer...whats the point of building rooms and equiping them with recording tools?

Dude--you're rambling now. Face it--you tossed out some lousy advice. You told him not to experiment. Period. Everything after that is blustering and diversion--instead of copping to the fact that it was bad advice.

I for one am sorry I hijacked his thread trying to reason with you. My apologies to the OP.

Oh yeah--and my advice to the OP: get a 57. You won't regret it. And yes, read (including right here on this forum) about all the variations on mic placement with that 57--and then EXPERIMENT and find what works for you.

:)

Dude--you're rambling now. Face it--you tossed out some lousy advice. You told him not to experiment. Period. Everything after that is blustering and diversion--instead of copping to the fact that it was bad advice.

I for one am sorry I hijacked his thread trying to reason with you. My apologies to the OP.

Oh yeah--and my advice to the OP: get a 57. You won't regret it. And yes, read (including right here on this forum) about all the variations on mic placement with that 57--and then EXPERIMENT and find what works for you.

:)

I didnt hand out bad advice...even if you learn the techniques from the experts there is still variations to thier styles...Im just saving him tedious hours of experimentation without any basis of knowledge he can learn from people who have experimented allready.

Yes the 57 is a great mic to reccomend...there are a few right ways to point it to the speaker...and there are books out there that will tell him the best way to do just that.

Point it off axis about one inch from the grill...use the LDC at a distance...pan them wide to get the biggest sounding solos...that is how Ted Templeton does this...that is how Glenn Johns does it...etc.

And it was very good advice when I read it...and if you think that your advice is better than the guys who produced Led Zep and Van Halen...Id have to disagree.

Make sure you drop it in a glass of beer, hammer a few nails in with it, and use it in a "see who can throw it the farthest" contest first.... to season it...

Then it'll sound real authentic... :p

If you want to season it...why not just put a little salt & pepper on it? :D

I do!

only last night, I had a ham and banana sandwich.

I've now learned not to have ham and banana sanwiches. Result!:)

Totally agreeing with experimenting. I've been helping record a few bands over the last few years and i did a lot of reading up on what i should be doing but i never knew how to do anything until i experimented!

The SM57 is a brilliant mic, you will always find a use for it! The other day i had an extra one just lying about so i stuck it on the floor tom. Really good results! never used it for that purpose before lol

its things like that which keep recording interesting!

Back