Recording Electric - 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 Cabs?

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey All,

I am just curious if you find certain speaker configurations better for recording than others? If you had the exact same amp head for recording, but had the option between identical speakers in the cab, but between 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 configurations... what would you choose?

Just curious as I am getting a Mesa Boogie Stillato Duece head and am going to be building my own cab. Curious if one is better than the other. I have normally used just 1x12 amps as I worry that multiple speaker amps may have bleed from the other speakers. Is this a valid concern or not at all? Also, I don't want to "overpower" a recording or track because of too much power from multiple cab speakers. is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

1x12 is always my first choice. Usually the bigger have more phase problems with more than 1 speaker sending the same signal. But its not impossible to still get a great sound I just keep the mic a lot closer.

1x12 is always my first choice. Usually the bigger have more phase problems with more than 1 speaker sending the same signal. But its not impossible to still get a great sound I just keep the mic a lot closer.

There's something to the size sort of being a decent fit to the room' (or stage, or out doors if that's the case.
Open back vs closed is a fairly significant.

Woops.. aside from 'broader/bigger/low end, part of the 4-12 thing is a bit of the mulit-point phase.

Back