Recording Dry

gjackson

I have used the "REC DRY" feature on the BR900CD to record vocals dry so that I could tinker with the effects to get the right effect sound to apply to this "dry" track. Now that I have found the right effect, I can't seem to get this effect to "print" to this dry vocal track. I can set the "LOCATION" of the effect to the particular track that my vocal track is recorded on to hear how it sounds with the effect, but, like I said, I can't get it to "print" to the track so that I can move forward and use other effects on other tracks. I've tried to bounce the track while the effect is being applied to the source track, but it doesn't seem to print to the track.

Can anyone tell me how I can "print" this effect onto a dry track?

I am guessing, but you probably need to set the effect for the (new) track, rather than for the already-recorded track, when you are bouncing it.

Thanks for the quick reply, mjbphotos. I want to say that I've tried that, but I can't say for sure. I'll make sure that I try that tonight and let you know if it worked.

Setting the effect to the "new" track and bouncing it with the effect didn't work for me. Any other suggestions on how I can "print" an effect to a dry recording without having to send the effect to that track every time I play it back?

Or...should I just go back and redo the track "wet" this time?

I've read most of the manual and I haven't seen anything instructing me how to print effects to a track that was recorded dry. The BR900CD manual is about as bad as it comes. There are very few instructions other than the basics of how to lay down a track and turn it into a CD. The instruction manual is geared towards teaching someone how to record and make a CD as quickly as possible and many of the minute details are left out. It does tell you how to switch the "location" of the effect so that you can dry record a track, but it says nothing about what you can do with a track after it is recorded dry.

Last night I went ahead and re-recorded my track...wet this time. I may send an e-mail to someone at Roland to see if they know of any way I can accomplish what I want to do.

Thanks so much for the tips on this!

I've tried to bounce the track while the effect is being applied to the source track, but it doesn't seem to print to the track.

That should really do the trick... I have a BR1600, which I believe is similar to yours, and bouncing with the effect applied to the source track works for me -- I cannot think of another way to achieve the desired result. The effect is definitely present on the "new" (stereo) track that I bounced to, and I can then use this like any other track, for instance mix it with the original one.

Play with it, is the only thing I can suggest. Use a new song (Roland speak) to do that, throw it away later. You do not need to record dry in order to apply effects to tracks in a mix, so I suggest leaving all the settings to the defaults, except the effect and its location, of course. ;)

Good luck!

hppnq,
Thanks for the suggestion. Originally, that is what I tried (applying the effect to the source track and bouncing it onto a new track). After that, I tried, to no avail, to apply the effect to the destination track. As you suggested, I'll go back and try it again with a new "test" song. I appreciate your help. You would think that this process would be similar between the BR1600 and the BR900 which I have.

Back