recording drums

one guy

whats the best way to go about recording drums i have a recorder that records 2 tracks at a time but i also have a mixer with up to 10 channels. should i use the mixer mic as much as i can then out put left and right to the recorder. panl left and right. or should i just try the two mic system? i can get ahold of drum mics to mic each piece. so i am think using the mixer would get best quality. or i could run kick snare on one channel and the rest on anouther any ideas would help

How does the recording environment sound?
How well balanced is the drummers playing?
How does the kit itself sound?

If those aren't bad, there's no reason why you can't just use overheads and put some effort into the positioning.

Making sure that each mic is the same distance from kick and snare as the other goes a hell of a long way.
Use some string or something to get it perfect. It really can be worth it.

If there are problems with the above, you could certainly go the other way. Use a few channels of the mixer and sum to stereo output.

If that is the case though, I'd recommend keeping it simple. Maybe really really well placed over heads plus a kick mic and snare mic?
Focus on getting a great sound at the time (obviously) if you go this route.

It's up to you, but personally i think putting out tom mics and hi hat mics and stuff can just get messy if your recording to stereo.
Of course, that totally depends on the type of music you're doing though. Perhaps these things are needed?!

Another option if you don't mind a mono final mix is to use one 'overhead' and one kick mic.
I've never done that though.

No matter what you do, I'd really recommend recording 20 seconds, listening, adjusting the setup then repeating.
Some time spent on the tracking first time round can save you having to do the whole thing again if it doesn't work out.

If you only have two tracks to record, I might even go mono...one overhead (or two panned on the same track), and kick and snare on one track...three total mics. Obviously 4 tracks would give you a lot more flexibility so you can do stereo overhead and kick and snare on their own tracks.

But, yeah, I'd probably do a mono set up with what you have. I wouldn't bother with close micing up the whole kit though.

HMM i guess i will just try out a few things to see what sounds best

Pure genius.

But this:
should i use the mixer mic as much as i can then out put left and right to the recorder. panl left and right.
is probably the best way to go(though I'm not sure what you mean by "mixer mic").

If you have the channels and the mics, then learn about overhead techniques and combine that with as many close mics as you can, starting with kik and snare.

Either way, you're going to be stuck mixing with only 2 tracks, but with enough trial, error, and more trial, you can get a nice mix going out of your mixer and into your DAW.

so ive been messing around with my tascam dp01fx and some mics just with guitar vocals and a cajon drum. Im now wanting to get further in and record drums is there a stand alone unit that you would recommend for this to be able to record a full kit fully mic'd. or should i upgrade the computer and get an interface and which would do the trick for the full kit? I do like the portability of having a standalone unit. I can take it to places and set up to record and take it home and transfer tracks to the computer for mixing, thats basically what i do now.

If you have enough time to get the drum mix right, there is no reason not to mic everything up and get a good stereo mix. I did that at rehearsals for years. Once you get the drum dialed in, it should sound pretty good.

If you want to only use two mics, I would recommend using an XY setup and put them in front of the kit about snare drum height. Make sure both the kick and the snare are centered on the XY. If you only have one kick, this normally means the mics are in front of and just above the kick, about a foot away from the kick.

so ive been messing around with my tascam dp01fx and some mics just with guitar vocals and a cajon drum. Im now wanting to get further in and record drums is there a stand alone unit that you would recommend for this to be able to record a full kit fully mic'd. or should i upgrade the computer and get an interface and which would do the trick for the full kit? I do like the portability of having a standalone unit. I can take it to places and set up to record and take it home and transfer tracks to the computer for mixing, thats basically what i do now.
Firstly, if you have a number of mikes as you say, then you're better off using the mixer. But this is dependent on whether or not you'll only be recording the drums at that moment or whether you'll be recording with say, a guitar or another instrument because that limits you to just one input going into the recorder. As for a standalone recorder {personally, my prefered option, though an 8 input interface is also to be recommended}, have a look here. There's loads of them.

I've been where you are, and it sucks.
I ran everything mono as has been stated already. I ran a kick drum mic, snare mic, and two overhead condensors as well as a room mic to catch as mutch sound as possible. Then I ran the board to the interface.

You can also mic each individual drum and the over heads. Experiment to see what sounds best.

go through your mixer with 4 mics ( 1 kick, 1 snare, 2 overheads).....your overheads should stand just above the drums in an "XY" direction with each mic aiming down at the kit on an angle. I usually set my overheads approx 2-3 feet above the kit on a boom stand.....or as many as you want.

Tweek your individual mics to taste via the mixer's EQ, PAN, etc.... and go out your mixer's mains(L & R) to the recorder. This is kinda like a submix/subgroup for drums.

I'm assuming you have more track space on your recorder but it just records 2 inputs at a time?? If this is the case, by doing the above, you can have 4 drum mics go through your mixer and route that into your recorder on 2 stereo tracks, thus freeing up track space for other instruments.

Hope this helps.

Tascam US800 is a very portable, 8 XLR interface for $99. It is being discontinued.

This video on how to record drums from to to bottom can help you out.
Their are concise and pretty much straight to the point.

Puremix_Recording Bass drum
Puremix_overheads

There is the mixing session of this recording on the website if you look for it too...

Even if techniques may (have to!) vary depending on the room, the mics, the style etc... the philosophy behind it is pretty much the same.

I would personally use the Mixer with lots of mics rather than the 2 mic technique. This way tou get more control over the sound.

G

well im glad to say in the near future its looking like a new computer and a tascam us-1800 are going to be in my collection of gear

Back