recording drums???

villain76

I need to know which mic would the phase need to be changed on if i mic up the front of the bass drum with a akg d112 and the beater side with an sm57.

Do you just listen to it and determine, then choose or should it always be one or the other???

thanks in advance

cool thanks...you think its over kill to swap out the sm57 for a condensor?

mxl 603s
akg 430

it maybe a little tougher to get good seperation but it will give a different sound...maybe i'll try it out.

thanks again

never overkill to use a better mic for the job...try a gate on the beater mic triggered off the front mic...i always wanted to try this and maybe i will next session...

the polarity reversal is a good suggestion but only if needed. use da ears...it isn't an automatic necessity due to mic placement.

I think the bigger point is being forgotten here. Your ears are the best judge in anything related to audio.

Technically, you would invert the polarity on the beater side, but artisically, you may find the hollow sound works out the best. And this goes for anything, snares, vocals, guitars, whatever.

With enough situational experience, you tend to get pretty good with it. Plus you tend to start gauging situations where you may or may not need other processing as well.

For example, I never gate on tracking, but light compression is not uncommon.

So to answer your question directly,

1)listen
2)analyze (understanding all the repercussions of those actions)
3)then apply

Back