Recording drums with 2 mics

And the fact that he wants to record drums with two inputs suggests that he has neither the money for an interface with 6 more inputs or for the microphones to accompany the new inputs. Yeah the theory is more Mic's = more control = better chance for a better recording. but we all know the skill isn't in putting microphones on Mic stands and then vaguely aiming them at the source, the skill is in knowing where to put everything and what to use to get the product you want. I believe that it is more beneficial to learn how to get the best product in less than perfect ideals then it is to hand everything down on a plate. If the OP learnt how to get a great drum sound with 2 mics. . . which is perfectly possible, imagin how much better he would be when he came to upgrading the setup.

Whats funny about this is that when we had access to a full scale studio(when I took an audio engineering class) we got great drum sounds. Its just that we were so rushed that the end result was a rushed half assed job. So with our own equip even just 2 track were already getting better results by just taking our time. (sorry for the double post)

Whats funny about this is that when we had access to a full scale studio(when I took an audio engineering class) we got great drum sounds. Its just that we were so rushed that the end result was a rushed half assed job. So with our own equip even just 2 track were already getting better results by just taking our time. (sorry for the double post)

I know what you mean, Im doing a degree in music production at the moment, but the work that I do at home in my own time far surpasses in quality what I do for uni. Plus my home studio, is ever growing better.

My rattle? What the hell does that mean? :confused:

If you you're trying to be cute or have something to say, just fucking say it and we'll go from there.

:laughings::laughings::laughings: Know the saying about throwing your rattle out of the pram/cot? I was playing on that, cause you seemed to be getting a little stroppy. I completly agreed with what you were saying by the way, so no need to cry. :)

Lol. Not at all. Intent is hard to gauge through a computer screen. And you're a limey, so I had no clue wtf you were trying to say. ;)

I don't need anyone to agree with me though. This is just the net. People can think whatever they want. I'd love to hear some home-recorded, well-done 2-mic drum tracks though, but I haven't yet.

Lol. Not at all. Intent is hard to gauge through a computer screen. And you're a limey, so I had no clue wtf you were trying to say. ;)

I don't need anyone to agree with me though. This is just the net. People can think whatever they want. I'd love to hear some home-recorded, well-done 2-mic drum tracks though, but I haven't yet.

lol. whats a limey?

I wasn't agreing with you cause i think you need it. I was a agreing cause I agree. . . words lost all meaning now. Unfortuatly I don't have any Home-Recorded 2mic drums, and the tracks I did were in a school, when I was recording school performances for a project. and the session isn't in my possesion at this time.

lol. whats a limey?
Something Americans and West Indians used to call British sailors. They used to be given limes to help with scurvy, an old time disease that did big business at sea back in the day. Not a pretty thing to be called a "scurvy knave"......

Yup! English alright!! :laughings:

Is that a new stereotype I havn't come across yet? So it's true what the legends say, america is easier :) . . . Im buying a plane ticket first thing tomorrow. . . . I do the typical thing, see a lass I like, walk up, mind goes blank and cant think of anything to say and let just say, girls give you a funny look if you start talking about how to mic up a drum kit. . . (keeping OT) not that thats ever happened

But yeah back to my question! I really like the idea of getting a good sound with using the bare minimum because it sounds like a good starting point and I'm not trying to limit my self but rather get what I can out of the least.

Ha ha, sorry! Yeah, try the method I mentioned earlier, I think that will get you around where you want to be. At the very least USE A STEREO PAIR!!!! Using 1 overhead and the other Mic to try and isolate the kick or the snare may give you a little more control with that 1 piece, but it will make the drums sit really thin in the mix. As Greg said, more Mic's give you more control but I think if you work hard enough you should get damn close. remember the three P's POSITION, POSITION, POSITION - that will never fail you.
I may only be 21, but I have spent a considerable amount of my life doing this, once in a while im worth listening to. . . I think

Is that a new stereotype I havn't come across yet? So it's true what the legends say, america is easier :) . . . Im buying a plane ticket first thing tomorrow. . . . I do the typical thing, see a lass I like, walk up, mind goes blank and cant think of anything to say and let just say, girls give you a funny look if you start talking about how to mic up a drum kit. . . (keeping OT) not that thats ever happened

I'm just joking with you. Here in the states when someone says they like to do it "The English Way" it means they like being whipped and dominated by a women in leather. "Missionary" is just what you think it is. The "French Way" is getting a hummer and the "Greek Way" is traveling the dirt trail up the lady's butt. There are a lot more, so if you ever visit a whorehouse in the US you'll have the beginnings of some of the lingo. ;)

I'm just joking with you. Here in the states when someone says they like to do it "The English Way" it means they like being whipped and dominated by a women in leather. "Missionary" is just what you think it is. The "French Way" is getting a hummer and the "Greek Way" is traveling the dirt trail up the lady's butt. There are a lot more, so if you ever visit a whorehouse in the US you'll have the beginnings of some of the lingo. ;)

Haha, Im sure that will help me along the way. When the river runs red, take the dirt track instead! thats a little saying that always makes me laugh.

I may only be 21, but I have spent a considerable amount of my life doing this, once in a while im worth listening to. . . I think

If you've spent a considerable amount of your life doing this, surely you have some stellar 2 mic drum recordings we can hear.

I haven't gotten the mic's that I ordered yet so that is why you have heard the fruits of this thread yet. but we decided that we're gonna use my old 4-track for the 2 pencil mic's and have them as over heads going into 1 channel. The 2nd channel will be used for mic'ing the kick. More than likely the recorder man method look the most promising for what we're doing for the pencil mic's but we're gonna throw in an extra mic just for the kick.

Back