recording drums in sonar

minofifa

Hey guys
i'm gonna take a stab at recording a drum kit, probably with something like a firepod. There will be at least 6 channels going in at a time. What i'm wondering is, what is the best way to set up sonar to do several takes of a song, so that we have different drum tracks to choose from for our song? It seems like tracks are gonna build up awefully fast, and it is gonna be a huge pain to set up all of the tracks each time we want to record. Is it best to maybe set up a template, save it as a blank, and just do a new song for each drum take?

also, a more technical question. my laptop only has one firewire port and i'm going to need a firewire soundcard, and an external hard drive. my quesiton is, will a USB 2.0 hard drive be able to handle 6 or so tracks going into it at once?

thanks fellas.

The way I do it is I set up my channels assigned to the inputs and name them. Then I save that as a template. Every time I open a new project I call up that template and it's ready to go. (I record 7 tracks of drums) I have MOTU 896HD's so I'm not up on the firepod. If you are asking about multi takes of the same song set it up as record new takes to new tracks (like an overdub) but don't turn on the loop function unless you are doing the take one right after the other.
I think the usb drives ought to handle that few a tracks. Hope that helps.

You will build up lots of track quickly but they are sequentually numbered so you keep track. (don't forget to set the option to mute the previous tracks as you record)

set it up as record new takes to new tracks

how do you do this?
basically, if i have 7 inputs coming in from the firepod to the software, it will show in sonar as 1 through 7. So if i do what was suggested, the next time through, the tracks will be 8 through 14? is that right? if so, won't having tracks 1 through 7 playing use up cpu power, even if they are muted? thanks a lot.

Yes they will use the CPU but, you can archive them and they won't use up your resources. I don't see that it would cause you alot of problems until you get 4 or 5 takes.

Back