Recording dilemma

mndog75

I have a mf-po1 Tascam(nothing special) 4 track recorder, I also have a mg10-2 yamaha mixer which I use if i need to power up my condenser mic.What is better to do, plug directly into the recorder?or mic my guitar??.I really just started to make demos,but I am after the best sound of course.

Electric guitars plugged directly into mixers and portastudios tend to sound pretty bad unless you have a good direct box to impedance match the guitar's output with what the mixer is looking for.

Or, you could use a modeling interface which simulated the tone of different guitars and amplifier/cabinets that also acts like a direct box.

Or, use a real guitar amp/cab and mic the cab with a Shure SM57 dynamic microphone to get the most natural recording. This works well if you don't have crabby neighbors!;)

Cheers! & good luck with you sound! :)

I was wondering if you are talking about an acoustic/electric guitar here, because even then it's a good idea to use the SM57 about 2 1/2 to 3 feet away from the body (the length of the guitar body) in addition to the direct input. Then, you can mix these two signals together for a great sound.

You didn't specify the type of guitar, and I saw an opportunity to up my postcount...

Its an electric. I decided to mic my amp( gxl2200) I only did it one time and am not real happy, but I will try different things.I like the mic for vocals, but am not sure on the amp yet.

Back