Recording Digital Pianos

wordizbon

I have a Ensoniq TS-10 and a Roland XV 5080. I do not have engineering experience other than what I do in my studio. I want to know Some tips and tricks as to making my piano sounds liven up. I usually record dry and probably add reverb to the sound. But I'm sure there are a lot more tricks I can do as far as delays and panning to better my sound without over doing it. I have waves and TC works by the way and record with cubase SX. Any ideas. Experts speak up.

Sorry I aint no expert in this, but what I would do to get a full yet bright crisp keyboard mix would be to firstly layer different keyboard sounds. ie. one lower full tone sound and another higher crisper brighter sound.

Then double track these (two or more) layers so you can then pan the doubled takes.

Experiment with different sounds that layer well together.
Certain small EQ boosts at mixing will bring out certain nice sounds around the mids prob. And along with a good quality reverb and good settings this is what I would do.
Short quiet delays could be added to add more depth than just reverb.

Short delays could be used on all the piano tracks or depending on how you layered your tracks you could try different panning techniques with different delays.

ie. Track 1 - Panned hard left, delay time *ms louder in mix
Track 2 - Panned medium left, delay time */2 ms quieter in mix

Track 3 - Panned medium right, delay time */2 ms quieter in mix
Track 4 - Panned hard right, delay time *ms louder in mix

The above settings are just off the top of my head and are just ideas of how to acheive depth and spread.
Try different techiques out to get a wide but natural stereo image with lot of perceived depth from the different delays mixed with the layered pianos (different keyboard sounds).

Right hope this helps.

Even with a good keyboard i find a direct track to sound stale, mic a cab, or take both a di and a cab and blend. That should make it sound a little better.

giraffe said:
Even with a good keyboard i find a direct track to sound stale, mic a cab, or take both a di and a cab and blend. That should make it sound a little better.
Yeah as Giraffe said try micing a cab. Totally forgot about that!

Hmm, used to record using Cubase SX and would record a stereo track using the L-R outs on my Yamaha S80. I was usually pretty happy with the sound and only had to do a little EQ to get it tweaked out a little, and I would do hard panning for the best separation. What kind of sound interface/card do you have with your computer?

I've since moved to using soft synths (Sampletank) and using piano samples for a more realistic sound.

:D AND

If you run your "whatever" keys into a good mic pre and then into a compressor, and then record, you will get a bright enough sound AND, maybe eliminate some tweaking time. Depends what you want in the UP FRONT area of your mix....voice or keys. Keys, probably for a solo; voice, ALWAYS up front for me.

But, I like all of the ideas in this thread too.

Green Hornet :D

warble said:
Hmm, used to record using Cubase SX and would record a stereo track using the L-R outs on my Yamaha S80. I was usually pretty happy with the sound and only had to do a little EQ to get it tweaked out a little, and I would do hard panning for the best separation. What kind of sound interface/card do you have with your computer?

I've since moved to using soft synths (Sampletank) and using piano samples for a more realistic sound.

I have a MOTU 2408 mk II

Back